Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Glad she made it okay. I love that tank. Is it custom made? Not a common size, but perfect dimensions for tortoises. The leopards hatched out in two batches. Chewy was in the second batch. She's right around 6 weeks old. She was 21 grams at hatching and 50 when she shipped. All of them have fantastic appetite. They will eat as much as you give them. I'm so glad that I'll get to continue to watch her grow and thrive.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tom said:
Glad she made it okay. I love that tank. Is it custom made? Not a common size, but perfect dimensions for tortoises. The leopards hatched out in two batches. Chewy was in the second batch. She's right around 6 weeks old. She was 21 grams at hatching and 50 when she shipped. All of them have fantastic appetite. They will eat as much as you give them. I'm so glad that I'll get to continue to watch her grow and thrive.

The tank is from glasscages.com. They have so many choices and build to suit whatever needs you may have. They ship all over the country. They also attend most reptile show's and will allow you to pick up at a show to avoid paying shipping. Rob picked it up at the White Plains show.

I have already changed things around Chewy's tank. I added a layer of cypress on top of her soil because the soil was drying too fast. In addition I added a larger CHE which sits above her humid hide. I think her humid hide is perfect, it was 95% humidity last night and 80 degrees and was still exactly that this morning. (I have a sensor in there). I will post pics of the changes once I really wake up.

exoticsdr said:
Awesome! Congrats!

Thank's Doc:)

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Chewy is SO ADORABLE! Your enclosures are awesome! Do you intend to house your two leopard torts separately on an on-going basis, or are you going to put them together at some point? I ask because I am thinking about getting another greek girl to hang out with my Ari, and following the quarantine period I was planning to house them together. I don't have room for another large tortoise table, and to me the point of having more than one is for them to have each other's company.

Congrats!

Best,
Kristina

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank you. Since Leia is so big and so much older we will not be able to house them together for years, if at all. One of the reason's Leia came to us because was unable to tolerate company in her enclosure. She just stayed in her shell all day and was stressed out. We are prepared to house them separately indoors for the winter months but hope that they will eventually coexist in a cleared acre of land for the warm months in about 5 years. Fingers crossed!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Chewy looks great, congrats! I'm going to have to check out that website, I like his setup.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
So far, Chewie seems to be doing well! We absolutely love her!!!!!
IMG_2801-1.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well, the tortoise looks great and all but I think your living quarters are pretty rad. It reminds me of my family cabin back in the day.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
This is my first time using Photobucket so I hope it works.

I want you all to meet my new Baby Leopard, "Chewy"! It is short for Chewbacca but I will never tell him/her that! I have converted my sunroom into my Tort room. I have included pics of that so you can get a sense of where I am keeping Princess Leia and Chewy. The sun room is an ideal tort room because It is all glass and wood and has a seperate zone for heat. We keep it at 75 degrees alway's but the sun usually makes it a little hotter. Chewy is in her own Vivarium with a plexi glass top to maintain heat and humidity. I took the top off to take pics. Her substrate is Sphagum Moss and organic soil right now. I am expirimenting with growing my own weeds and grass and transplanting them into the Viv. but they are not tall enough yet. In case you cannot tell Chewy has two CHE's and one basking light but I am contemplating adding another basking light. I got Chewy from a clutch that Spikethebest gave to Tom before he left for Flying school. So my baby has been raised by Tom for the last two months, I know I have some big shoes to fill but how lucky am I!!!! Oh and Chewy is weighing in at a solid 50 grams.
Enjoy the pics….

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/CTtortoiseMom

would you be willing to send me more pics of the two story enclosure? its so cool!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am getting Chewy's clutch mate. Tom is keeping her for me till I get home from TN. I hope she is as beautiful as Chewy :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Melly-n-shorty said:
would you be willing to send me more pics of the two story enclosure? its so cool!

Thanks and sure! I am adding the link because my husband "Robert" posted all about it in the enclosure section. The enclosure's have been a lot of trial and error and we would be completely lost without the helpful people on this forum!!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-New-Multi-Level-enclosure-for-Leopard-Tort?page=2#axzz1OFJgsHYb

Missy said:
I am getting Chewy's clutch mate. Tom is keeping her for me till I get home from TN. I hope she is as beautiful as Chewy :)

Oh my gosh that is so great!! I have seen pictures of them all and they are ALL beautiful. That would be so cool if we were able to compare them as they both grow!

Status
Not open for further replies.