Meet Crush the Three toe boxie

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Picked up my new 3 year old 3 toed Box Turtle on Saturday from member @lisa127 . His name is Crush!.....may get a change to Hugo.....maybe.....
He is a little guy & my very first Boxie! Crush weighed in at 336g.

Heres his enclosure:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-boxie-enclosure-my-first-boxie-enclosure.103965/

He has spent the last two days buried under his peat moss substrate. Still has not eaten but his enclosure is loaded up with pillbugs & earthworms so he may get a nibble im not seeing. I did take him out today for two 15min soaks under his uv light.

& heres the cute picture: there will be many more to come once he settles in!20141025_142907.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
20141027_172755.jpg
Crush was burried when I got home today but he left signs that he had been out exploring while I was gone. Water dish was a mess and one of his hides was pushed out. He did get a soak today but still has not eaten from what I have seen. I did hide some food arround his enclosure and of course there are pill bugs and worms in his enclosure. I will feel better when he eats and I know it....

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Very beautiful shell , have you put a worm in front of him? They usually can't resist them. Try not to worry he glows with good health.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have never force soaked my boxies, so that is a new thing for him. so it might be kind of stressful. If you saw signs of him being out and about that's great! I would fuss with him as little as possible. Put some food in there each day and walk away. Maybe let him be until he seems to be more relaxed in his new home.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have never force soaked my boxies, so that is a new thing for him. so it might be kind of stressful. If you saw signs of him being out and about that's great! I would fuss with him as little as possible. Put some food in there each day and walk away. Maybe let him be until he seems to be more relaxed in his new home.
Will do Lisa. He did not seem to enjoy soak at all so I will stop for a few days. I have put in worms right in front of him and he runs away....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Very beautiful shell , have you put a worm in front of him? They usually can't resist them. Try not to worry he glows with good health.
thanks! I can't take credit though, @lisa127 did a beautiful job raising him, I'm just trying to carry it on :) he walk, more like runs, away from any thing I do in his enclosure so I'm totally doing the "new mom" freak out until he adjusts

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
He's really cute! I know it takes them a long time to settle in to new surroundings. Someone gave me her three toed male box turtle, and he was angry at me for quite a while. I had picked him up at her house, and unfortunately she didn't put him in the carrier but let me do it. I think he thought I had kidnapped him. Of course, he didn't understand that he couldn't keep living with the desert tortoise, her other animal, because it made the tortoise ill. Anyhow, I asked her to come over and visit which she did. I don't know if that helped, but it made me feel a little better. But what really changed everything, was when I introduced him to my female three toed box turtle. All was forgiven! He is now a very happy turtle, who every spring is thrilled to see his girlfriend, who is always thrilled to see him as well. Also, sometimes when I set him down on the ground outside of his living space, he runs behind me as I walk away.

You've already done a lot to give him yummy things to eat. He'll adjust in time, as he sees that you're a safe person, and that you'll continue to give him delicious things to eat. Is it possible that he's not eating as much because it's time to hibernate?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He's really cute! I know it takes them a long time to settle in to new surroundings. Someone gave me her three toed male box turtle, and he was angry at me for quite a while. I had picked him up at her house, and unfortunately she didn't put him in the carrier but let me do it. I think he thought I had kidnapped him. Of course, he didn't understand that he couldn't keep living with the desert tortoise, her other animal, because it made the tortoise ill. Anyhow, I asked her to come over and visit which she did. I don't know if that helped, but it made me feel a little better. But what really changed everything, was when I introduced him to my female three toed box turtle. All was forgiven! He is now a very happy turtle, who every spring is thrilled to see his girlfriend, who is always thrilled to see him as well. Also, sometimes when I set him down on the ground outside of his living space, he runs behind me as I walk away.

You've already done a lot to give him yummy things to eat. He'll adjust in time, as he sees that you're a safe person, and that you'll continue to give him delicious things to eat. Is it possible that he's not eating as much because it's time to hibernate?

I do know he has slown down and does every year in the fall. Just makes me more nervous with adding stress to him with the move. Thanks for the insight!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
thanks! I can't take credit though, @lisa127 did a beautiful job raising him, I'm just trying to carry it on :) he walk, more like runs, away from any thing I do in his enclosure so I'm totally doing the "new mom" freak out until he adjusts
He does that to me at this time of year as well. But if he does what he did last year, in the spring he will stop that. Even before spring. Once the days started getting longer (by February) he was ready to "wake up" and eat and explore. A little less shy, too. Hopefully he'll do that for you. But yes, he also has the extra stress right now.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He does that to me at this time of year as well. But if he does what he did last year, in the spring he will stop that. Even before spring. Once the days started getting longer (by February) he was ready to "wake up" and eat and explore. A little less shy, too. Hopefully he'll do that for you. But yes, he also has the extra stress right now.
Thank goodness I have you to tell me its normal for him :) I feel bad for the stress though. Since his enclosure is loaded with worms and bugs I think i will only change the fruit and veggies every day an leave him alone for a few days. Think that's ok or should I dig him up?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank goodness I have you to tell me its normal for him :) I feel bad for the stress though. Since his enclosure is loaded with worms and bugs I think i will only change the fruit and veggies every day an leave him alone for a few days. Think that's ok or should I dig him up?
I think that's a good idea. It's not normal for him at other times of the year. But in the fall when he's slowing down he does that.

Oh, and don't be surprised if he doesn't eat the fruits and veggies til spring. He may just munch on the worms and bugs for now.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think that's a good idea. It's not normal for him at other times of the year. But in the fall when he's slowing down he does that.

Oh, and don't be surprised if he doesn't eat the fruits and veggies til spring. He may just munch on the worms and bugs for now.
Yep, that's what I'm worried about. I have no proof he's eating since he is left alone to hunt for himself.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
View attachment 101771
Crush was burried when I got home today but he left signs that he had been out exploring while I was gone. Water dish was a mess and one of his hides was pushed out. He did get a soak today but still has not eaten from what I have seen. I did hide some food arround his enclosure and of course there are pill bugs and worms in his enclosure. I will feel better when he eats and I know it....

WOW! ! ! !

This is beautiful torts........Great shot!!!