Mega greenhouse "rainforest exhibit"

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It begins. In a few weeks I will be disassembling this 2000 square foot monster. This will be a permanent 1st stage of the park. Will have the South American turtles and very tropical wet tortoises in it. Also going to incorporate free flight birds in this structure. Haven't decided weather or not the dart frogs should be displayed here or in the smaller animal structure. I like the idea of having animals represented in region and Eco systems kept together though. What do y'all think?

Here it is before I get my hands on it and remodel it.
Has a full propane heat system, evaporator coil cooling system that also humidifies the entire structure to a very high level. The doors will obviously be done and end walls to encompass and entry and exit door along with double entry/exit so birds don't fly out.

The roof will also be a 60 26 gauge metal that alternated solid clear, frosted clear, and solid metal for a more permanent and structurally sound greenhouse.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It begins. In a few weeks I will be disassembling this 2000 square foot monster. This will be a permanent 1st stage of the park. Will have the South American turtles and very tropical wet tortoises in it. Also going to incorporate free flight birds in this structure. Haven't decided weather or not the dart frogs should be displayed here or in the smaller animal structure. I like the idea of having animals represented in region and Eco systems kept together though. What do y'all think?

Has a full propane heat system, evaporator coil cooling system that also humidifies the entire structure to a very high level. The doors will obviously be done and end walls to encompass and entry and exit door along with double entry/exit so birds don't fly out.

The roof will also be a 60 26 gauge metal that alternated solid clear, frosted clear, and solid metal for a more permanent and structurally sound greenhouse.
View attachment 165960 View attachment 165961 View attachment 165962 View attachment 165963
Can't wait to see what you do with that.
Your living my dream.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Are the dart frogs able to free Rome if so then no

Oh no. That would be bad. I suppose I should of detailed that out. Haha.

They will be in an enclosure all alone and separate from anything. Currently I have some 4'x4'x12' glass aquariums I plan to use for them. Was trying to think if they would be stable enough in the greenhouse. They don't really like the heat and it's not good for them. But the evaporative coil keeps the building cooler. I think setting them up in the welcome center with the smaller displayed animals would be better maybe. Would leave more space for larger enclosures of the other guys. This one may actually end up being the South American greenhouse. I'll do a separate one for Asia and Indonesia perhaps.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Ok good yes you should make separate greenhouses ( you know how people here are about mixing different animals from different places) and I think you could simulate there specific rain forest better

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ok good yes you should make separate greenhouses ( you know how people here are about mixing different animals from different places) and I think you could simulate there specific rain forest better
That's kinda why as I type I keep thinking indifferent. Like Manouria are much different from dendiculata and forstens are are in dry forests with wet seasons. So I'd think a more regionally and Wordly precise structure is more suiting for OCD as well. Ha. Btw nothing is ever mixed here intentionally. Each species will seperated by walls. As we typically keep al of the tortoises separated unless within same species.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

View attachment 165960 View attachment 165961 View attachment 165962 View attachment 165963

I'm assuming your going to have some sort of rain system, have you worked out how you will achieve that yet?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'm assuming your going to have some sort of rain system, have you worked out how you will achieve that yet?
Yep those are very simple. However I want make it more complicated than typically used and or done before. I'm going to utilize a misting system for light showers, and a typical irrigation system for header showers.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yep those are very simple. However I want make it more complicated than typically used and or done before. I'm going to utilize a misting system for light showers, and a typical irrigation system for header showers.

How complex are you willing to go?

Have you considered having northerns and Brazilians in the same enclosure,but divided with a body of water(partition at water level down the middle). Your own mini Amazon.
Man my mind would go wild with 2000sq ft of indoor area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think you're going to be too successful, Kelly. Those panels are pretty brittle and trying to get the nails out you're going to shatter the panels. But good luck. The building is worth saving if you can do it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't envy you, with having to take that building down. Good luck with it, sure hope it goes well. I know it will look great in the end.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
This looks totally doable, so long as the structure is salvageable. I have always wanted to do something like this.

What part of Texas are you in? I'm near central.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
How complex are you willing to go?

Have you considered having northerns and Brazilians in the same enclosure,but divided with a body of water(partition at water level down the middle). Your own mini Amazon.
Man my mind would go wild with 2000sq ft of indoor area.
Haha well 2000 square feet is actually a bit small for me. But should be just fine for the South American. I for sure won't mix any. What I plan to do is create the different regions of ecosystems into one side to the next. The turtles will be kept in the middle with some freshwater stingrays. But like from one end it will be extremely dense planted thick rainforest for Yellowfoots wood turtles etc, and finely thin out into a more savanna for the Redfoots on the other end and "river" with the aquatics spanning from on end to the next. If that makes sense.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I don't think you're going to be too successful, Kelly. Those panels are pretty brittle and trying to get the nails out you're going to shatter the panels. But good luck. The building is worth saving if you can do it.
I've already planned on not keeping the panels. The ends will have to be insulated and a permanent wall installed with a double door for bird security. I'm really just after the frame, and heater and cooler components inside. I don't like the poly they used as it deteriorated as seen. So don't you worry Yvonne.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Haha well 2000 square feet is actually a bit small for me. But should be just fine for the South American. I for sure won't mix any. What I plan to do is create the different regions of ecosystems into one side to the next. The turtles will be kept in the middle with some freshwater stingrays. But like from one end it will be extremely dense planted thick rainforest for Yellowfoots wood turtles etc, and finely thin out into a more savanna for the Redfoots on the other end and "river" with the aquatics spanning from on end to the next. If that makes sense.
Excellent. Sounds perfect. I'm really looking forward to this part of your projects.
I wanted to create a forest side and Savannah side in my enclosure. Huh. I've learnt a lot about space, or lack of in my case. You have 2000sq ft to play with.
How high is the enclosure? Would it be possible to grow any of their native fruit trees, or is that pushing it too far.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Let me get this straight . You're going to disassemble this green house move it to your new property and reassemble it . That's some work ! I bet after you put your touch on it ,it will be awesome .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Excellent. Sounds perfect. I'm really looking forward to this part of your projects.
I wanted to create a forest side and Savannah side in my enclosure. Huh. I've learnt a lot about space, or lack of in my case. You have 2000sq ft to play with.
How high is the enclosure? Would it be possible to grow any of their native fruit trees, or is that pushing it too far.
Yep sure am. Already have quite a few native figs and peanut butter fruit trees. Lots of ground plants too from northern South America.