Mega Ray bulb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just got my replacement bulb:) I called them Monday after noon 1-10-11 came in today 1-14-11 :D I hope this will last longer then 3 days :cool:

Badgemash

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Is any one using a new Mega ray bulb ? The reason I ask is I got my order on Dec 23 had it for a back up :) I got a new tort and had to use it in a quarantine table plugged it in Wednesday it blew this morning 3 days not happy. Has any one else had any problems?

Ours finally arrived (after waiting for 12 weeks, and no replies to my emails) about a month ago, no problems with the actual bulb, and the babies seem to like it better than the old one (xterra MVB) as they're basking more often.

-Devon

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I talked to megaray yesterday and they are receiving the new lamps from a new supplier next week.

I need to replace the 45w ge reveals over the plants because that's where my bumpkins are spending all their time. The just plop and graze like a sundial.

In the center of the table is a 100w zoomed solarsun so that the only place they can get UVB other than the 2 desert 10.0 48" lamps.

How hot is the 100w lamp getting?

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
apparently reptileuv has crap bulbs now. Received my megaray 160w on Sunday and it stopped working 3 days later. There's a trend going with their bulbs now, and they DO NOT last. The metal bits inside burnt/broke. Bulbs they have now are different from several years ago where bulbs lasted 5 years n could still produce decent UVB. sheesh

I'd take exo terra now.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They haven't responded to my email on the 17th. Tried again today through their website this time. I would try for refund through paypal, but of course it's been too long for that.It almost seems like a scam to me now. It's no wonder he doesn't reply to emails, he probably gets dozens a day.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Definitely not buying any Megaray bulbs for at least a year. Frustrates the hell outta me n sure wasted a whole lot of my time as with every other customer they got.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I have been using my 160 watt bulb for about a month. This morning it blew. Mega Ray bulbs stink now. I would not reccomend them to anyone. Not only are the bulbs low quality, but their customer services is just as bad.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My second Mega ray bulb burnt out this morning:( this one lasted 6 days :D that's double then the first one which lasted 3 day just got off the phone with Reptile uv they are getting some in from Germany. May be that one will last at least a week :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With all the hoop-la about Mega Ray bulbs, why don't you all just change to a different brand? I've used both Zoo Med Power Sun and T-Rex Active UV/heat and I like them both.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
emysemys said:
With all the hoop-la about Mega Ray bulbs, why don't you all just change to a different brand? I've used both Zoo Med Power Sun and T-Rex Active UV/heat and I like them both.

I did I have a Power sun and a Exo Terra Solar Glo but the MegaRay is still under warranty :)

Chifte

5 Year Member
Fleetwood, PA
Oh man, I am extremely disappointed after reading this thread. I had a Solar Glo blow on me this morning so I bought a Megaray just this morning after reading rave reviews, so now I'm without UVB until this evening, I had planned to use a strip UVB and a basking bulb I all ready had until the Megaray came.

Now Megarays aren't good either? And they take months to ship? Oh man, it seems like none of the MVB get good ratings at all, even the strip lights get poor ratings.

I'm going to call them to see what's up, hopefully they make it easy to cancel if the back order is very long.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Chifte said:
Now Megarays aren't good either? And they take months to ship? Oh man, it seems like none of the MVB get good ratings at all, even the strip lights get poor ratings.

I think a lot of it IS hit and miss. For a while though, T-rex active UV heat and MegaRays were the best. But now with these new bulbs, MegaRay looks to be a bad choice. And I don't think T-rex is even putting bulbs out at the moment (I could be wrong on that though).

I have read very bad things about every single bulb ( megaray, t-rex, powersun causing lethargy, eye issues etc). And good things about them as well.

The best way is to try a bulb. If your tort likes it and is active with no issues, you have found the bulb for you. If it slows down, you see problems or anything. You try a new bulb.

And if you have the cash, get a UV meter!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Just get a zoomed powersun bulb, they might not be rated the "best" as far as UVB output but they will last and will honor their warranty AND ship it same day under warranty replacement. Our orders ship with in 24hrs, this bulb is used by most professionals/zoos/institutions now.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I just sent the following to mega ray:
am writing to you for the THIRD time about my 100w bulb which after a long wait has FAILED after about a week of operation. I would phone to complain, but due to a hearing loss, it's difficult for me to communicate that way.
Since you have decided NOT to address my problems with YOUR product, I can only conclude that it was your intent to defraud me all along. You have, in effect STOLEN $56.95 from me. I hereby DEMAND that you either 1)Replace the defective lamp with one that works. or 2) Immediately refund $56.95 to me. Your lack of communication with a concerned customer seems to be a poor choice for customer relations. Instead of ReptileUV, perhaps you should change your name to Reptiles?FU. It's probably a waste of time, oh well.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I've probably given up as well. Since they ignored my 4th email now. Ah well. Bad customer service followed by bad products... really bad mix.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
well i've got some good news to report on this thread - my megarays that i ordered about 2 weeks ago have shipped and should be here on monday (i received a tracking number and everything). these apparently are from a new batch from germany - so i'll keep all posted as to the quality. the guy i spoke with at megaray was incredibly kind and overwhelmed due to staff transitions. hope everyone else who's been struggling gets some resolution!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I hope your tracking number isn't fake, like the first one they sent me. Good luck.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
All of ours are new from germany as well. And it's been shite. So let's see how yours would fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.