Mice in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Unfortunatly, my boyfriend is pretty sure we have mice in the house. I am really scared because I dont want them to hurt my Hermy so from now on, I will keep her door closed. I dont want the mice to suffer so I dont want my boyfriend to put traps or poison. I heard of a product that produces a sound that scares the mice(humans do not hear it), my question is does anybody know if Hermy could hear the sound?

If someone has an idea to how get rid of mice, please let me know.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sorry Isa, I can't be of much help. My dogs keep mice away and what they don't the neighborhood cats do. I know they do have humane traps that allow you to trap mice then take them far away and let them go. Perhaps you can get some of those I saw them online, can't remember where. Good luck .

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
You can purchase no kill traps for mice they have a swing arm that lets them get in but not escape then you can take them somewhere and let them loose.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for your answers.

I wish I could have a dog or a cat but I am allergic :(

Could they hurt my Hermy? We will go shopping tomorrow.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i dont think a mouse would hurt your tortoise but it is possible that they would go into his enclosure to get at his food. the best solution is to get a cat but i think you'll do quite well with a no-kill trap since you are allergic

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
josh said:
i dont think a mouse would hurt your tortoise but it is possible that they would go into his enclosure to get at his food. the best solution is to get a cat but i think you'll do quite well with a no-kill trap since you are allergic

Thnaks Josh

I dont understand because where I live they dont sell no kill trap. So I tried a home made no kill trap yesterday night, it did not work. I will try again tonight. I am really happy to know that the mice can't hurt Hermy!

I wish it will work tonight, I keep my finger crossed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something to keep in mind about mice and rats: They DO chew on hibernating tortoises.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Something the mice/rats do more is chew on electrical cords exposing the wires. Also they could bring diseases and things when they get into Hermy's area. Cats and dogs help, but even they can't control them always. (Take it from me, somebody who has lots of dogs and cats, but still with our old home mice still get into).

Until you come up with something else, often if you have an empty garbage can (with something mice love to eat in it) located near where the mice are
and where they can climb into the can, they will go into the can and be trapped. We usually catch a few ever fall out on the back porch if somebody leaves the cans with dog or cat food open.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
We cleaned everything and I put some peannut butter when we think they come when they are hungry. We did that on saturday and they still did not come. Maybe they left :D.

My boyfriend told me that if they are still coming in our kitchen we will probably call an exterminator. So I am looking for an exterminator that does not kill the mice (a hard task let me tell you).

I just hope they wont come anymore.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think finding a exterminator that does not kill the mice will be a challenge. I know you don't want to hurt them, but they will breed then you will have more, they will chew cords and cause lots of damage, and I wouldn't want them by my torts. I know people who had hundreds of dollars of damage to there belongings from these pesky rodents, And I'm not sure if it is the same for mice, but I know that other wildlife will come back once removed. Hope you get rid of them soon!!

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Or you can adopt a snake or python from any of the shelters, just hope that you're not afraid of these reptiles:D, and you can feed the rodents to the snake, this way the rodents will not multiply and you could get rid of the problem naturally. This is my 2 cents opinion, good luck to you.

minh

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
A thought. Are you allergic to ferrets? They were used in Europe for rodent control prior to introduction of cats from N. Africa. They can go where a dog (terrier) can't go and are more socially exceptable then carnivous reptile.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the advices but I am allergic to animals (even to ferrets, too bad because they are really cute).

Hmmm and regarding the snakes, it is not that I dont like them but if I would have another reptile, it would be another Hermann (to keeps Hermy company). I am not too crazy about snakes.

They still did not eat the food I left for them. Maybe they are gone. Is it possible that they left or do they probably get their food somewhere else in my house? I did not find any traces of them (if you see what I mean) in my kitchen, It must be a good sign.

If my boyfriend or me, see a sign that they came in our house again, we will have no choice but to call an exterminator (no I did not find one who does not kill them )

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, if they do not have a source of food and nesting materials they may move on. Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Geesh and nobody mentioned she could try getting a Redfoot. I know mine love eating mice. :D

If your no longer hearing them or finding their droppings and such, sounds like they have gone on. Just keep in mind, if one mouse can find it's way in, more then likely in the future more will.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
My boyfriend will wait one more week and he will close all the holes we find in the house. We will wait one more week to see if we find some droppings.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When closing holes use steelwool as part of the process. Rodents are unable to deal with chewing into this.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wouldn't waste my money on an exterminator...all the ones I called only give you those sticky traps that you can buy at Walmart...with extra dollars added to their cost. They work best if you put a green pea sized dab of peanut butter in the middle of it.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.