Mini Heart Attack

Briannesmith1

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Does anyone ever get that weird feeling that they have to check on their babies. Well I just had that feeling so I went to my room to check on Jaxx my 3 month old Sulcata. He was on his back between his water dish and food dish. How in the world could have flipped himself here? What do I need to change. He wasn’t under his light and i know it was only 5 minutes he was there because someone checked on him soon before I went upstairs. IMG_1527804637.303259.jpg I don’t want this to happen again and him get dehydrated and die because I know that could have happened today. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yep...they are topsy at this age. He probably tried to crawl up and missed. Id recommend you sink both your water and food dishes level with or below the substrate level so your sully is stepping down into the food/water not climbing up for food or water.

Good luck. Happy torting. Upload a pix of your sully in the enclosure. I’ll bet thats what happened.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The straight sides of those dishes will do it. I always though those dishes were fine until Yvonne I think it was, pointed out the danger of those straight sides. Get a piece of tile for the food and a clay saucer like the kind that goes under flower pots for the water. Then also bury it so the edge is level with the substrate.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
IMG_1527805660.784509.jpg
He seemed to be doing fine but I soaked him anyway because I noticed he pooped and peed when he was flipped. Still active and alert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you guys so much! I will sink the dishes in the mulch more
Those type dishes are fine for older tortoises, but when babies try to climb out they get straight up and down and sometimes tip over backwards into the water. It's the straight sides INSIDE the dish that cause the problem. So just sinking your dish won't solve that particular problem.

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Those type dishes are fine for older tortoises, but when babies try to climb out they get straight up and down and sometimes tip over backwards into the water. It's the straight sides INSIDE the dish that cause the problem. So just sinking your dish won't solve that particular problem.

I will buy a clay saucer and a flat rock! Thank you.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I had a different type of dish but experienced your same panic. Talk about walking into a nightmare!! My Russian tort now has a terra cotta saucer as well with no issues. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've never had to experience this so far thank god!