Misled about age?

Kevboosh

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello. This is Coaster. I got him yesterday from a reputable pet store. They told me over the phone that he was six months old but, when I got there, he seemed waaaay too big. I still wanted him but, if they couldnt tell he wasnt under a year old, I feel I will need to be extra vigilant in his care. Who knows what else they got wrong? Maybe the lights they suggested I get werent even the right ones? Maybe he's not even a russian tortoise? My sulcata I had to rehome took years to get this big.. Anyways, how's his shell look? Thoughts? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_093210440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230328_093210440_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230328_094308064_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230328_094308064_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Kevboosh

California
Hello. This is Coaster. I got him yesterday from a reputable pet store. They told me over the phone that he was six months old but, when I got there, he seemed waaaay too big. I still wanted him but, if they couldnt tell he wasnt under a year old, I feel I will need to be extra vigilant in his care. Who knows what else they got wrong? Maybe the lights they suggested I get werent even the right ones? Maybe he's not even a russian tortoise? My sulcata I had to rehome took years to get this big.. Anyways, how's his shell look? Thoughts? Thank you.
He's over five inches long. Maybe 6.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Pet stores lie. Its what they do.

Start here, it will be eye opening:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Please DO ELABORATE.
It's actually extremely likely that the other information you were given and the products you were sold are also wrong

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, you have now learned the pet store lesson the hard way. You've got a whole bunch more learning coming your way in the next few days, and we will do our best to help. Start with the thread from SinLA, and at the bottom of that one is a care sheet for temperate species, plus a simplified heating and lighting breakdown.

You don't have to be specific, but what part of CA are you in? Beach, desert, mountains? Very different advice for Mammoth Mountain vs. Manhattan Beach vs. 29 Palms. Different advice for San Fran vs San Diego even.

I grew up in South L.A. and now live up in the SCV. I travel around for work a lot, so I've learned all the different climates.

Welcome to the forum.

Kevboosh

California
Thanks everybody. I'm almost 40 and know pet stores are liars. I generally know a lot about animals and these people were the most knowledgeable I've ever seen by far. The heat light is keeping the basking area at a steady 95 degrees and this is the uvb light they suggested. They suggested eco earth coconut mulch stuff but maybe that is too humid for an adult? I plan to make it a more natural soil that I can put tortoise friendly plants in. Figured I would go with their suggestion until I get that fully worked out. All my planning and research was for a much younger tortoise and now that's been completely thrown off. Heck.

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_111623844_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230328_111623844_HDR.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use that uvb light it has been known to cause eye problems and give off very little uvb. Use a tube florescent for uvb, a flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter for added heat if needed. Do not use soul inside but the coir or fir/orchid bark. An adult still needs humidity 30-50% or a humid hide.
Please read the info linked for you before deciding on any changes as any research outside this forum will stir you wring most times too.

Kevboosh

California
Do not use that uvb light it has been known to cause eye problems and give off very little uvb. Use a tube florescent for uvb, a flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter for added heat if needed. Do not use soul inside but the coir or fir/orchid bark. An adult still needs humidity 30-50% or a humid hide.
Please read the info linked for you before deciding on any changes as any research outside this forum will stir you wring most times too.
This is what I'm using for the heat. Anything wrong with using this? I knew this didn't seem right. The light setup I had for my sulcata was much brighter. Dont remember exactly what everything was, but he definately had a flood bulb of some sort.

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_114057193_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230328_114057193_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Kevboosh

California
Does he at least look healthy? He's still asleep but I dont know when he would normally wake up. It was probably stressful to be moved. He was plenty active yesterday, probably past his bed time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he at least look healthy? He's still asleep but I dont know when he would normally wake up. It was probably stressful to be moved. He was plenty active yesterday, probably past his bed time.
Except for some pyramiding he looks fine. He likely will be a great tortoise.

Kevboosh

California
I'll get some pictures with reference when he wakes up and so I can get your opinion on the gender. The substrate I got him in is much deeper than what he had, maybe he's just too snuggly. Thanks for all the help.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
its probably the best substrate he's had in ages (also may want to send pics of his tail and underside if you want confirmation he's indeed a he). Do you mind if we ask where the pet store was you got him?

Kevboosh

California
its probably the best substrate he's had in ages (also may want to send pics of his tail and underside if you want confirmation he's indeed a he). Do you mind if we ask where the pet store was you got him?
I definately will get tail and underside pics. Today I've only spoken to a newer employee that wasnt there yesterday and seems to be set on "DENY DENY DENY" Protocol. I will give them a better shot at defending themselves before putting them on blast online. I can understand an employee or even the manager being wrong about the age of just one species of animal but if they cant admit that he's older or not from a breeder, that's extremely uncool.