Nessa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia, CA
UPDATE!!

I was on Facebook last night venting to a friend and he told me I should get the "next door" app. I figure it would be worth a shot. I go to bed last night and when I woke up this morning I decided to download it. I told a very short hand version of the story and said if you have any information about a man with a green bronco please let me know so I can relay the information to animal control.

5 hours later I get a message on the app that says "call me please, #". I call and it was the man that told animal control that the tort was his. He said that he saw animal control try to take the tortoise and he did not want it to go to an animal shelter so he had to lie because he has bad experiences with animals going to the shelter and has seen what happens. Anyways, he said "come pick him up whenever you'd like, I'm just a block away". I go pick up the tort (not alone) and he has a enclosure/habitat that he made her and bought her food. He offered for me to take the food with me since he wouldn't have her anymore. I think he got really attached to her in the 3 days. He raved about how friendly she is and that she is very healthy. He said he was looking into getting one himself. I somewhat felt bad taking her (obviously not enough to give her away though. lol) He offered to carry her to the car and he gave me his business card because he makes sculptures for the arboretum near by. There was a sculpture on his property that was in the form of a turtle made of metal gears. Pretty cool stuff.

He seemed to know quite a bit about tortoises. I am thinking of trying to find someone that is looking to have someone take over their tortoise and possibly give it to him as a thank you. Maybe some of you have mixed feelings about all of this, but I am really happy he was nice enough to contact me and not just keep it for himself. We chitchatted for a while and I told him that I was trying to become a veterinarian. He told me that he worked with horses in the past and is an animal lover. I normally don't trust people that don't love animals
1f642.png
So, I figured he was one of the good guys.

Also, he does not drive a emerald green bronco. It was a teal pickup truck. How does anyone mistake the two?!?

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
If you guys are interested, here is a picture of Tiny when I first got her. Been working really hard to try to get her pyramiding under control.

I got her from a friend that had a baby and was unable to care for her like he wanted too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 3.06.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 3.06.58 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 67

Destben

Kansas
My heart stopped when you said animal control gave her to somebody claiming to be her owner. I am so glad you got her back and that she was well taken care of! Such a miracle!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'm just an old, cynical hermit, but I question his statement that he thought he was saving the tortoise from the SPCA (a fate worse than death???) He was just trying to let himself off the hook for stealing your tortoise. But thank goodness he stepped up to the plate and contacted you. All's well that ends well!

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
I guess I'm just an old, cynical hermit, but I question his statement that he thought he was saving the tortoise from the SPCA (a fate worse than death???) He was just trying to let himself off the hook for stealing your tortoise. But thank goodness he stepped up to the plate and contacted you. All's well that ends well!
I'm just like you, I thought the same thing. But hey, like you said, at least he contacted me in the end.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So glad you got her back. The story does sound a little fishy to me too. He was probably hoping that you would give up and realized he was about to get caught. Either way, glad she's home now.

Tell mom to watch the tortoise when the gate is open!

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
Thanks again everyone! She has not pooped since she has been back, opening a new thread

Alaskamike

South Florida
I had that “ gate left open” thing happen with mine. Some tree guys were working for me. I told them about the 50lb tortoise & to be certain to close the gate behind them. Of course - they didn’t.

Took me over a week, with several spottings by folks I talked to ( they thought it was a native tortoise , really?) , & finally my neighbor saw him wandering down the road a couple miles away. I went & there he was munching grass along side the road.

After that I expoxied a dog tag to him with my phone#. :)

It is a horrible feeling when one escapes. Sal was having fun , but I was worried.

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
I had that “ gate left open” thing happen with mine. Some tree guys were working for me. I told them about the 50lb tortoise & to be certain to close the gate behind them. Of course - they didn’t.

Took me over a week, with several spottings by folks I talked to ( they thought it was a native tortoise , really?) , & finally my neighbor saw him wandering down the road a couple miles away. I went & there he was munching grass along side the road.

After that I expoxied a dog tag to him with my phone#. :)

It is a horrible feeling when one escapes. Sal was having fun , but I was worried.
So glad you found him! It is always such a horrible experience.

One thing that I got out of this experience is that I got information from a neighbor. Apparently you can register your tortoise with Fish and Wildlife. This is the link to California's permit: https://tortoise.org/general/permit.html .

I am assuming that you might be able to do that in Florida. You just need to fill out the paperwork and mail it in. They will send you back a sticker that you can place under the shell above the hind leg. Not sure how well the sticker would stay. I have been lagging on sending in the paperwork because I am in the process of moving as well as going through finals at the same time.

Hopefully this can help you or someone on this thread.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So glad you found him! It is always such a horrible experience.

One thing that I got out of this experience is that I got information from a neighbor. Apparently you can register your tortoise with Fish and Wildlife. This is the link to California's permit: https://tortoise.org/general/permit.html .

I am assuming that you might be able to do that in Florida. You just need to fill out the paperwork and mail it in. They will send you back a sticker that you can place under the shell above the hind leg. Not sure how well the sticker would stay. I have been lagging on sending in the paperwork because I am in the process of moving as well as going through finals at the same time.

Hopefully this can help you or someone on this thread.
Isn't that only for desert tortoises? You can't do it for a sulcata.

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
Isn't that only for desert tortoises? You can't do it for a sulcata.
From my understanding, you can register any tortoise. I believe he said that he had a russian he did it with. Maybe I will have to look more into it. I will let you know.

Darrell Simpson

I am in shock that you were able to recover your tortoise , alive and well .Congratulations , since you don't know if it could have been grazing on anything with insecticides or weed killers is ok to give them activated charcoal to absorb toxins ? I would love know if a charcoal treatment could harm a Sulcata . Please keep us informed of the health and recovery of yours.