Missing Wawa, should Titan get a new friend?

Titan24

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Up tonight thinking about my late Wawa. She was such a beautiful tortoise and I miss her dearly… my male tortoise Titan is doing great, and I think it’s time for me to get him a companion. This is a bittersweet thought as I do truly miss my girl Wawa, and tbh it’s hard for me to imagine adding a new tortoise friend into the mix.

What do you guys think? Is a good idea to get my male tortoise a female companion?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You know, tortoises are not supposed to live in pairs. One will bully the other to illness or death. This might be why your other one died?
So no, do not get another one. They don't want or need friends. In the wild they meet to breed or fight them they move one, well at least the one that didn't lose the fight.

Titan24

NJ
You know, tortoises are not supposed to live in pairs. One will bully the other to illness or death. This might be why your other one died?
So no, do not get another one. They don't want or need friends. In the wild they meet to breed or fight them they move one, well at least the one that didn't lose the fight.
So should I only get a female companion if I’m interested in them possibly breeding some day? If yes then keep them separate and only pair them up after hibernation to breed?

Titan24

NJ
No.
Don't do it.
It's difficult for us cuddly mammals to think like a territorial reptile, but they don't make friends and they don't get lonely
I am super cuddly tbh. So should I only get a female companion if I’m interested in them possibly breeding some day? If yes then keep them separate and only pair them up after hibernation to breed?

Titan24

NJ
And know I realized this young, they were separated for years once Wawa started bullying Titan. However I did hope for them to one day mate, Wawa died however due to illness

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I am super cuddly tbh. So should I only get a female companion if I’m interested in them possibly breeding some day? If yes then keep them separate and only pair them up after hibernation to breed?
They may choose to fight instead of mating. Group of 2-3 females and 1 male can coexist in one large enclosure. But no warranties that they all will get along with each other.

So if you miss Wawa and want to get a girl tortoise - you can get one for yourself, not for Titan. Keep them separated and enjoy their personalities without putting them together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So should I only get a female companion if I’m interested in them possibly breeding some day? If yes then keep them separate and only pair them up after hibernation to breed?
If you want to breed, you need two or three females for each male and they need to be set up in very large outdoor enclosures. They will brumate over winter, and the will protect them from your frozen winters.

Titan24

NJ
If you want to breed, you need two or three females for each male and they need to be set up in very large outdoor enclosures. They will brumate over winter, and the will protect them from your frozen winters.
Outside enclosure is not possible must find a way to do it indoors