netjerk

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Outdoor Pen Project

• Material sourcing:
  • Big enclosure, why enclosure? My house compound mainly concrete floor, the only grass area was contaminated with cleaning chemical. I will have to resurface whole place to avoid poisoning to my tortoise. Moreover, enclosure is easier work with in later part as in plan.
  • Cave/hideout? Base of drainage….
  • Water supplies.
  • Cleaning possibility.
  • Substrate.
  • Mosquitoes? Here can easily breed mosquitoes when you have pool of water.
  • Easy access between wet and dry land.
Started with building the retention wall, material was bamboo chopstick and string.
IMG_5927.JPG

After building the wall, I need to figure out the angle of this wall that my tortoise can easily climb up. Placing one small wall made for the test and with the angle of 40 degree is okay for them.

Why I need this retention wall? Next section you will get the answer.

Next step was to collect aggregate to use as base. The idea is to have self-sustained living environment, I will need to have a pond for them to soak, poop or drink. And to create this pond I need to consider the water is not dead hence need to find a way to re-supply water. Then came the idea as shown below.

TortOutdoorPen_Labelled_Tort.jpg

Soil Retention Wall was to hold on the aggregate and soil not to fill up water area.
Grating was use to prevent tortoise from eating any feces or stone in the water.
Water for Soaking and drinking as well as source of water for the grass and plant.
Water Overflow is to avoid flooding because this enclosure could collect water from rain. Future plan to have water refill system which will help to get fresh water to tortoise.
Waste Water Discharge was use to release feces or dirt sink to the bottom of the water area.
Grass will be part of the food source.
Soil is needed as plan to have plant as source of food.
Plants will be source of food
Aggregate was the base for soil because with just soil it will slowly washed away by water. I could just have a permanent blockage of water to soil area but due few reasons I decided not to do it. 1. Water may flood in soil area if rain too heavy. 2. Tortoise will urinate and if too much will be bad for grass or plants. 3. Would like to have a better eco system.
Enclosure was for easy mobility and it will be free from contamination.

IMG_3849.JPG IMG_6082.JPG
Something is missing from the plan shown above…..shade or hiding area. I do not have many tools to work on this outdoor pen therefore most part used are those easily get from local store or some left over trash. Found this half round SGW (Salt Glazed Ware) drain base laying by the roadside, left over from the contractor who work on the drainage system. Looks solid and size was suitable for my tortoise, perfect for their hiding.
open

IMG_6083.JPG IMG_2998.JPG

Next is sourcing for aggregate, how much needed? I am not very good in estimate this and hard to just go shop order it. Moreover, for small amount of aggregate it is possible to order. Luckily from the same place where I get the SGW drain base has some for me to take but need to do cleaning.
IMG_6084.JPG

Grating or drain cover was needed to allow dirt stay at bottom of water. This way will help prevent tortoise from eating dirt as well as collecting waste which I can easily flush out by removing sink stopper. An overflow pipe was there to maintain the water level.
IMG_5929.JPG IMG_6178.JPG

After done leak test checked no problem, starts laying aggregate and fill water. Using two concrete bricks as base for SGW drain base because aggregate will move which may causing the shade sink downward. Retention wall may be a little slippery therefore laying net on top will help tortoise climb with their nail.
IMG_6345.JPG IMG_6351.JPG

Site inspector "Monster" checking if the slope is good to climb before putting in soil. A layer of net was to hold the soil from sinking into the gap of aggregate. Tiles was a temporary base for Monster to move around the area.
Philippines Carpet Grass was used and inside the “cave” tile was used as base. This is up to date setup and more to improve.
IMG_6353.JPG IMG_6412.JPG

Welcome all feedback and suggestion.

Next phase:
  • Water filter. To avoid mosquitoes breeding in the water, currently having guppy fish to counter mosquitoes breeding problem.
  • Maybe water circulation system
  • More plants to supply food.
  • Heating element near cave with automatic climate control system.
  • Safety net to prevent predator.

netjerk

Malaysia
Is that a Redfoot, a yellowfoot and a leopard tortoise together?
I like all the effort. But that enclosure is too small for just one of those.

Redfoot "Monster", Cherryhead "Dotty" and Leopard "Leopy".
Agreed to the enclosure size but due to space limitation have to start with this then will go larger whenever possible.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your torts seemed to take to it quickly. Id be afraid that they will easily climb up on the hide and fall right outside...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't believe in mixing species. The RF and YF are ok, but the leopard comes from an entirely different continent, requires a different diet and eventually will require different care/habitat.

netjerk

Malaysia
I don't believe in mixing species. The RF and YF are ok, but the leopard comes from an entirely different continent, requires a different diet and eventually will require different care/habitat.

Agreed, this is for the Redfooted. Leopard will have another drier pen.