Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
She's over a 1000 grams now and growing steadily. This is in stark contrast to her first two years or so. She still get soaked and sprayed daily. Her swamp is swampy as ever.

2uxv5ev.jpg

nd4dba.jpg

kcf4i0.jpg

21cawx3.jpg

33kadtj.jpg

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I like her. Her eyes say "she" as well. A real beauty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She does have a pretty face, but that shell is god-awful. I post the pics just to show the improvement. If you look closely you can see the raised portion right in the middle of each scute that was there when I got her. Its much lighter than the rest. Right around that area you can see 3-4 growth rings that are darker than that, but still lighter than all the new growth. That middle section of only 3-4 growth rings was the 5 months or so that she spent with a humid hide box, but still fairly dry. After those few middle rings you can see that all the new growth is very dark and gradually smoother and smoother. The dark growth that now makes up the majority of her rings is all from the time it got swampy. About two years ago.

I post the pics for two reasons. To show what happens when they go from dry to wet and for future reference. I think she's gonna smooth out and look pretty good when she's 30-40 pounds. We shall see.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
She's really coming along nicely, Tom! What a gorgeous little face!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow that new growth is awesome. I can't wait to see what she looks like in a few years!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
Wow that new growth is awesome. I can't wait to see what she looks like in a few years!!

Me too. I'm learning new things everyday.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dig up a pic of her when you first got her, So we can Ohh and Ahh. She does look good.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
By the time she is a "big" girl, those pyramids won't be any more than little buttons. If she turns out to be a digger, she may even wear them off in a couple of years time. She is far from "god-awful" lol. I have a couple that are truly god-awful, but I love them just the same ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
motero said:
Dig up a pic of her when you first got her, So we can Ohh and Ahh. She does look good.

Here are two pics of her when I first got her at three months old in January of '08. She hatched in October of '07. Got her from a friend who started her in typical beef jerkey maker, sulcata hatchling style. He knows better now. I've been harping at him for years.
28m1t9h.jpg

2du9p44.jpg

Here she is on January 14, 2010. Two years and three months old. Still tiny at barely 4.5 inches long. By this point she had been living the swamp life for about a year and a half. After two ears she has only grown an inch and a half. For comparison sake, my current babies, raised the "wet" way, are about this size at 7 months old.
25zs2lw.jpg

Here she is July 12, 2010. As you can see the growth spurt has started. She grew more than an inch and a half in six months. Prior to this she only grew an inch and a half in two years.
2i28xmw.jpg

I don't have a current pic with the tape measure, but I'd estimate she's between 9 and 10" right now. I'll get a pic tomorrow and add it here. The growth spurt has continued full force. She's around 1200 grams now and growing everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.