More dog training advice, please?

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I need some help please. I adopted a dog in March this year which had previously been living on the streets from the SPCA. My problem is that he keeps on peeing on my lounge floor and against my couch. The thing is I can never catch him in the act and most of the time the door is open for him to go outside. And I just don't know how to stop him from doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need some help please. I adopted a dog in March this year which had previously been living on the streets from the SPCA. My problem is that he keeps on peeing on my lounge floor and against my couch. The thing is I can never catch him in the act and most of the time the door is open for him to go outside. And I just don't know how to stop him from doing it.
Crate train him. Don't allow him the freedom to make that decision. He's not ready to be loose in the house yet. Your problem is a common one: Too much freedom for a dog that isn't ready for it yet.

When I take in a new dog, even a fully "house trained" adult dog, it is not loose in my house for at least two weeks. Its either on a leash, crated or kenneled. Never running loose figuring out things on its own.

If you can't be directly looking at the dog, he should be in a crate. Take him out frequently for potty breaks outside, walks, play and exercise, but don't leave him loose in the house for a long while. You'll also need to throughly clean and bleach the area where he's already potted in the house to try and remove as much of the scent marker as possible. After a month or two of establishing the correct pattern of going potty only outside, most dogs will catch on.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Crate train him. Don't allow him the freedom to make that decision. He's not ready to be loose in the house yet. Your problem is a common one: Too much freedom for a dog that isn't ready for it yet.

When I take in a new dog, even a fully "house trained" adult dog, it is not loose in my house for at least two weeks. Its either on a leash, crated or kenneled. Never running loose figuring out things on its own.

If you can't be directly looking at the dog, he should be in a crate. Take him out frequently for potty breaks outside, walks, play and exercise, but don't leave him loose in the house for a long while. You'll also need to throughly clean and bleach the area where he's already potted in the house to try and remove as much of the scent marker as possible. After a month or two of establishing the correct pattern of going potty only outside, most dogs will catch on.
Thanks Tom. Good to know. Now to get a crate.