More Greek Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
These are the same crosses, Antakyan/Jordanian, that Robyn just posted pictures of. 2 of these are from Robyn and 2 of these are from my adults.
Here are all 4 of them
P1011311.jpg

One of Robyn's, it looks like it might be a female. She's 2 7/8" and 102g
P1011314.jpg

The second one of Robyn's, it looks like it might be female also, She's 2 3/4" and 76g
P1011315.jpg

One of mine, it looks to be a male. He's 2 5/8" and 76g
P1011316.jpg

The second one of mine, it also looks like a male. He's 2 7/8" and 87g
P1011319.jpg

Danny

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
What cuties!

Danny, I've noticed that all of these hatchlings don't have smooth shells and neither do the two greeks that we bought from you last fall. Is this normal for young torts? Will they eventually smooth out?

BTW, our two greek boys, Pip and Oliver, are doing great! Will try and post pictures soon.

Donna

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Danny they look great it's nice to see them again. I am due to weigh the one I have from that clutch this weekend so it will be nice to compare. Glad to know they look like girls. I was hoping that is what I was turning out.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thanks Kate, Kristina, Donna and Robyn :)

No they shouldn't be that lumpy :p For a while I was feeding spring mix (which is good) without taking out the spinach. The hatchlings were getting a bit pyramided, so I'm now taking the time to take out the spinach. It's made a difference with my newest hatchlings, so I just need to keep doing it.
They'll never lose what they have. But if the new grow is smooth, than it will look less noticible as they get bigger.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Trial and error! That's how we all learn. Good to know about the spinach in the Spring Mix being too much. Thanks for sharing that Danny.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
What didn't help was that some species/subspecies were doing fine with it and others weren't, so it took a bit to figure it out. :D
Spring mix the way it is would be fine for adult males, but growing animals and breeding females need the spinach taken out.

Always glad to share what I'm figuring out :D

Danny

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
Thanks Danny. I was worried that we were doing something wrong with the youngsters. It's amazing how feeding them a small amount of baby spinach would make such a difference. From my own experience with different brands of spring mix, they can all vary on the amounts of spinach that's included in the mix.

Donna

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Four sweet little guys!! We should all write to the companies telling them what kind of a mix we need them to do. They might be surprised at how much of their greens are actually bought by tortoise keepers. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.