Moroccan Greek

Kramerica77

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi. I’m adopting a tortoise from an elderly couple who cannot care for him anymore. They have had him at least 5 years and, by the sound of it, he was an adult when they got him. They say he is a Moroccan as they acquired him from their son who bought 2 at street market while stationed in Morocco. One since died.
I know this is a sensitive species and from what I understand, he is being kept in less than idea conditions. However, he is taken to the vet regularly. What is the recommended substrate? I was going with sand/soil 1:1. Enclosure indoor to be approx 8x4. Is additional tortoise recommended?
Any advice is appreciated

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi. I’m adopting a tortoise from an elderly couple who cannot care for him anymore. They have had him at least 5 years and, by the sound of it, he was an adult when they got him. They say he is a Moroccan as they acquired him from their son who bought 2 at street market while stationed in Morocco. One since died.
I know this is a sensitive species and from what I understand, he is being kept in less than idea conditions. However, he is taken to the vet regularly. What is the recommended substrate? I was going with sand/soil 1:1. Enclosure indoor to be approx 8x4. Is additional tortoise recommended?
Any advice is appreciated
Welcome to the forum @Kramerica77

Thats awesome that you’re able to take in this tortoise. To answer your question about if an additional tortoise is recommended, that is a 100% no. 2 tortoises should not be housed together. One will always be dominant and it almost never ends well for one of the tortoises. It causes a lot of unnecessary stress for both tortoises and we’ve seen this result in sickness and/or death too many times on the forum. Tortoises are solitary and don’t seek companionship. If you want more than one tortoise, it would be recommended to get 3 or more and you’d want one male and 2 or more females in a small group. This would require a MUCH larger enclosure though.

As previously recommended, coco coir or orchid bark (aka fir bark or repti bark) is what is most widely recommended. I use just fir bark in my Hermann’s indoor enclosure and am very happy with it (as is Dozer). Cypress mulch is also used by a lot of American tortoise keepers. It’s my understanding that it’s easier to find in bulk at garden centres.

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s a link to an excellent care sheet for the species of tortoise you’re taking in. Some of it is geared towards babies, but there’s still an enormous amount of helpful information in here:

If you have any other questions as you get your enclosure set up, don’t hesitate to ask. ?

Kramerica77

New Jersey
Welcome to the forum @Kramerica77

Thats awesome that you’re able to take in this tortoise. To answer your question about if an additional tortoise is recommended, that is a 100% no. 2 tortoises should not be housed together. One will always be dominant and it almost never ends well for one of the tortoises. It causes a lot of unnecessary stress for both tortoises and we’ve seen this result in sickness and/or death too many times on the forum. Tortoises are solitary and don’t seek companionship. If you want more than one tortoise, it would be recommended to get 3 or more and you’d want one male and 2 or more females in a small group. This would require a MUCH larger enclosure though.

As previously recommended, coco coir or orchid bark (aka fir bark or repti bark) is what is most widely recommended. I use just fir bark in my Hermann’s indoor enclosure and am very happy with it (as is Dozer). Cypress mulch is also used by a lot of American tortoise keepers. It’s my understanding that it’s easier to find in bulk at garden centres.

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s a link to an excellent care sheet for the species of tortoise you’re taking in. Some of it is geared towards babies, but there’s still an enormous amount of helpful information in here:

If you have any other questions as you get your enclosure set up, don’t hesitate to ask. ?
Thank you so much! I appreciate the info!