Mosquitoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
With my torts being forest types I have large shallow pools in their outside enclosures. These attract mosquitoes for breeding. I was wondering what controls others use to prevent this ? I myself have been using Bacillus thuringiensis israelenesis in both solid "donuts" and liquid form. What other controls do you folks use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of my waterers are the lids from large 60+ toter garbage containers. I change the water every morning because I have opossums who poop in every single tortoise waterer on my property...even the little plant saucer ones! I'm so disgusted with these critters. I wish they'd move on! So mosquitos aren't a problem here.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
gotta dump the water.. i think most stuff would be harmful for torts. however.. mosquito larva are surface breathers.. so putting an oil in the water.. might suffocate them. just a little bit if it floats. HOWEVER... it may not be safe for tort.. ukn

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The advantage to Bti is it is a bacteria that is specific to mosquito larva and harmless to all other animals including other insects. I have used Bt (the nominate specie) on vegies and fruit to control butterflies and moths (such as tomato worms) for years with no harm to other animals. My pools are sunk into the ground and fairly large so dumping daily is not practical and mosquito fish are not econmically available in Iowa (they are a warm climate specie and special order from pet stores at tropical fish price).

Status
Not open for further replies.