MOSSES -MEDIUMS And Their Meaning

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
After reading several posts about medium questions,concerning Mediums and Mosses, I thought a little “Pictorial” might help ….
Green Moss there are approx 660 genera and 14,500 species. Mosses come in all styles short and tall along with different colors. This type grown in Northern California.

Sphagnum moss is grown in Bogs around the world . It has a graded system in the industry of “quality” referring to how fluffy soft as well as the length of the strands.
This is a “long strand” version.

Peat moss is a dead form of Sphagnum moss, ground fine.

Here a “wild" garden type of Green Moss naturally growing at the Cove’

Vermiculite is a natural mineral. It looks like shiny mica–sort of a flaky rock. In the garden it helps keep soil light for good airflow and retains water. It is also fire resistant. For use as a hatching medium alone or mixed with others works well.

Perlite is a naturally occurring siliceous rock. When heated it expands from four to twenty times its original volume which creates the extremely light sterile
material that allows for much airflow for it has low water retention. Mixed with Vermiculite makes for a super incubation medium .

Good Ol' Fashion Oraganic Soil

JD~:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Nice posting! One thing I'd like to add to this list is the soil listing for “Natural". I prefer to use certified “Organic" top soil. Natural has many loopholes for nasty things to be contained in it, whereas certified Organic has strict guidelines.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Good point Ken .... as I was going to say that , which If you notice the label ... It states both. I believe all Kellog's Materials are organic.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
I really dig the moss growing at the Cove'. Kellogg's is the only brand of soil I'll buy at Home Depot when I'm in a pinch. Otherwise it's off to the organic and hydroponic store for the good organic soil.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Also, when it comes to long fibred sphagnum moss the best is the New Zealand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
N2TORTS said:
I guess this was a bomb thread....:(

Actually a great thread. I didn't know peat and sphagnum moss were the same. I also didn't know there were so many species.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
wellington said:
N2TORTS said:

Actually a great thread. I didn't know peat and sphagnum moss were the same. I also didn't know there were so many species.

They are not the same. Peat and sphagnum peat moss are the same. I see many people say sphagnum moss when they mean sphagnum peat moss. It makes it difficult when they ask questions and you're not sure which one they are really talking about.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
lisa127 said:
wellington said:
N2TORTS said:

They are not the same. Peat and sphagnum peat moss are the same. I see many people say sphagnum moss when they mean sphagnum peat moss. It makes it difficult when they ask questions and you're not sure which one they are really talking about.
I guess the word " type" .....is important!
Like " Organic" ..................:D

Peat Moss - What Is Peat Moss

herbgardens.about.com/od/mp/g/PeatMoss.htm

Definition: Peat moss is a type of sphagnum moss

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
moss.jpgSo at Home Depot where I get my Spaghum Moss there is something right next to it called "Sheet Moss" (pic attached). On the Spaghum it specifically says "Safe for reptiles" this one does not-but would it be okay to use? Its a lot "prettier" than the others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Good stuff indeed JD. I like to mix and match some of these substrates. Its amazing how just adding something like a sphagnum over a layer of dirt or mulch creates a completely different micro climate. I think sphagnum moss is severely under rated. Its also a great way to cradle eggs. For instance I use will use perlite for some dryer species eggs, but cradle them in moss to help retain moisture only around the egg and not the entire tub in the incubator. I just started using this method and have found it to be a complete success.

Now lets see some more botany posts from you(and others) on live mosses. I have some live mosses taking over in the greenhouse I uprooted in south Louisiana. brought me back to the days of when I built dart frog terrariums.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Nice. This will help in the future. I wish I could get my hands on some Green Moss the one you have in the first photo because that is what I'm looking for. Is there a site that I can order this from???