Most personable species?

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
I think if a turtle or tortoise is raised from a hatchling and is given the proper care and attention, regardless of the species, it typically grows up to become an extremely personable and rewarding animal. However, there may be some species that are more predisposed to being personable such as the Manouria Emys. I also think the best people to ask about this would be the ones who work with many species like hermannichris and tortadise.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I'm just so interested to see what y'all think. To clarify, I mean outgoing, won't hide in its shell while you approach, etc. My personal opinion is Russians, because Oscar never hesitates to run up to me (for food, of course)

my Russian when I first got her was never scared she dint like dandelion greens or flowers and she is picky and when I give her something she doesn't like she turns around and eats her substrate she's a spoiled little girl

mkaykay

Minnesota
What age did your torts personalities start to show? My Hermann is a little over two months. He's still always sleeping when he's in his box but he gets a bath everyday, loves to eat, and has a special outside box where he can bask in the sun. When he's in his outside or movable box he just cruises around trying to get free and burrow. Still ducks his head when getting picked up but occasionally will stretch his neck out further for me to scratch with my nail. Is he too young to be super sociable like everyone's tort stories??ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443407712.435174.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443407730.582499.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, they do seem to develop personalities and become more outgoing as they get older.
But it also seems, much like people or other animals, that some torts are naturally shy, some more nervous, while others are bold and outgoing.
You'll have to wait and see! :)

awesomecs

5 Year Member
What age did your torts personalities start to show? My Hermann is a little over two months. He's still always sleeping when he's in his box but he gets a bath everyday, loves to eat, and has a special outside box where he can bask in the sun. When he's in his outside or movable box he just cruises around trying to get free and burrow. Still ducks his head when getting picked up but occasionally will stretch his neck out further for me to scratch with my nail. Is he too young to be super sociable like everyone's tort stories??View attachment 150277View attachment 150278

they are born with personality and when you get to know them they sat to have it they always had I it just takes longer to see it

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Personality is a hard thing to define in what makes up a good one. I think one thing that would be universal is if you like the person or animal at all, for you that might be what makes a good personality, even if others don't like the person or animal. So, a good personality is based on you to some extent, and who you fit with.

On the other side of this equation is who likes you. That means you have a good personality for them, and we all like to think we are likable?

It seems most tortoises like us for our hands and their ability to deliver food. Like looking good in a tight shirt or sweater, not a criteria that everyone appreciates.

I have met a few tortoises that when I sit in their enclosure they come over and just sit next to me. Sometimes even walking past the food that is available. It's like they find some value in your presence that is not food related.

For me this was a new thing with some radiateds that came to live with me while in a quarantine. They seem to just like being near you. It reminded me so much of a dog or cat that just want to be near you when you are home. My cat will do this, I can sit at my desk, and he comes and sits on the desk and sorta finds some sort of sanctuary with my being there. Radiateds do this.

The Manouria come by and sit with me, but I think they are slow to figure it's not about food, and they eventually wander off looking here and there. Similar to redfoots they are smart and inquisitive and curious. They want to check you out, but don't seem to care once the mystery of your presence has been solved. Aldabras like a good huddle, people other Aldabras, rocks, tree stumps, it's all good. It's them doing their thing, to huddle.

Marginateds seem territorial to me, sulcatas are just brutes, like territorial on steroids.

Radiateds seem to make it feel personal, like they want to be with you.

All this scientific mumbo jumbo, I'm going to get called out by @Tom for sure now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...sulcatas are just brutes, like territorial on steroids.

My sulcatas are not brutes. They behave much like your description of your radiatateds. Even the males.

My SA leopard boys will all come a running', but then they continuously ram me until I get out of their territory. They rival some of those "super male" Testudo or CDTs that occasionally pop up.

SteveW

Personality is a hard thing to define in what makes up a good one. I think one thing that would be universal is if you like the person or animal at all, for you that might be what makes a good personality, even if others don't like the person or animal. So, a good personality is based on you to some extent, and who you fit with.

On the other side of this equation is who likes you. That means you have a good personality for them, and we all like to think we are likable?

It seems most tortoises like us for our hands and their ability to deliver food. Like looking good in a tight shirt or sweater, not a criteria that everyone appreciates.

I have met a few tortoises that when I sit in their enclosure they come over and just sit next to me. Sometimes even walking past the food that is available. It's like they find some value in your presence that is not food related.

For me this was a new thing with some radiateds that came to live with me while in a quarantine. They seem to just like being near you. It reminded me so much of a dog or cat that just want to be near you when you are home. My cat will do this, I can sit at my desk, and he comes and sits on the desk and sorta finds some sort of sanctuary with my being there. Radiateds do this.

The Manouria come by and sit with me, but I think they are slow to figure it's not about food, and they eventually wander off looking here and there. Similar to redfoots they are smart and inquisitive and curious. They want to check you out, but don't seem to care once the mystery of your presence has been solved. Aldabras like a good huddle, people other Aldabras, rocks, tree stumps, it's all good. It's them doing their thing, to huddle.

Marginateds seem territorial to me, sulcatas are just brutes, like territorial on steroids.

Radiateds seem to make it feel personal, like they want to be with you.

All this scientific mumbo jumbo, I'm going to get called out by @Tom for sure now.

Interesting observations. Where do your pancakes fit in this huddle matrix?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
My sulcatas are not brutes. They behave much like your description of your radiatateds. Even the males.

My SA leopard boys will all come a running', but then they continuously ram me until I get out of their territory. They rival some of those "super male" Testudo or CDTs that occasionally pop up.
Well Tom, of course I didn't mean your sulcata.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Interesting observations. Where do your pancakes fit in this huddle matrix?
When I asked them they said unless food, freshwater, or mating was involved they wouldn't come out from under their hide. I have found some small fraction of pancakes will not care and come out or not hide. In the wild I think they quickly would become part of the selection event that tends to make them hide first, poke your head out second. Even offspring born in captivity are mostly hide first, poke your head out second.

As far as each other, they seem to like to hide together or not, but I would guess this is based on the suitability of the micro-climate that moment, rather then the company. If I disturb them when out and about they run to where they see first is the place to hide, even if it's not the closest or easiest to access.