Mounting Lights

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
What do you use to mount your UVBs? I looked EVERYWHERE, but I can't find what I'm looking for! I can't wire or do electrical, I'd probably shock myself... I can't find a ceramic light socket that just needs to be plugged in and screwed up and BAM the light works! Is there such a thing?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you :D but I'm not looking to mount a lamp itself, just something to mount this- upload_2014-9-19_16-49-32.jpeg- inside my tort table :( I know a lot of people prefer to mount them on the table's walls instead of having it in a hood on top, but I can't find the proper fixture to make that work :confused:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Have you tried places like Home Depot? They should have the plug-in type. If it is an H Obold though I think you have to get something pet specific. And they do just plug into the wall.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh and I have seen them on Amazon. But I would start at a hardware store or a home-improvement store,, I have not seen the mountable types in the pet stores myself but I'm sure they exist somewhere.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I looked at the Home Depot's and Lowe's websites, but I could find the right ones to support the other end? Do you have any?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No, I don't have one. Mine just sit on the edges of the tank. But maybe if you look on Amazon or ask the Home Depot guy for a "mountable" fixture he could point you in the right direction. The problem is mountable fixtures may be more likely to have to be wired them plugged in, so maybe that's why they're hard to find. I hope someone with a lot more experience chimes in soon.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That looks like a t5 lamp . Is it 24"or48"? You can buy the fixture for that lamp at home depot and save some money . Then you will have to build something to hold it over your setup . You can cut a 1/4 and make a u-shaped bracket that goes over the setup and screew the fixture to that.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm have a 24'' light right now... I'm not very savvy with a lot of hardware, so my translation is- I can buy that fixture from that link, or get something like this- http://www.lowes.com/pd_75121-37672...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= -and wire (I suck at wiring!!!) it into a wood piece to hold it up? I REALLLY want to put the light inside, having it on top is getting to me :mad::(
I'm sorry, I'm very confused! :oops: Are there just light sockets that I can stick on the table wall, screw the light in, with a pre-wired plug that I just plug in? Confuzzled??

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kind of bulb are you using? Is it a long tube type or something like an MVB? If it is in MVB then you can get 10.5 inch aluminum ceramic socket plug-in dorms at Home Depot or at a farm supply store.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can buy a complete fixture with plug at home depot . Then all you have to do is mount it .

M

Maggie Cummings

51NqgH0F7fL._AA160_.jpg
This is what you need with a ceramic based hood. They're about $15 at the big box stores. The Powersun can be found between $40 and $50, shop around. The Powersun is easier to use, more UVB and those tubes, (in my opinion) just really don't put out much UVB. If your tortoise is going to get sun light, a few hours a week, then your light would be alright. But to me they're a waste of money and don't do what we need them to do...just my opinion...:)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
51NqgH0F7fL._AA160_.jpg
This is what you need with a ceramic based hood. They're about $15 at the big box stores. The Powersun can be found between $40 and $50, shop around. The Powersun is easier to use, more UVB and those tubes, (in my opinion) just really don't put out much UVB. If your tortoise is going to get sun light, a few hours a week, then your light would be alright. But to me they're a waste of money and don't do what we need them to do...just my opinion...:)
My tort does go outside on nice days, but he will be unable to do so in the winter :( I can look for an MVB, but for just me, I like tubes better :D Everybody's got preferences :p!
Thank you for the picture, I'll search around for those too :D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 7