1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

Mouth stays open

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Markp, May 16, 2017.

1. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Well-Known Member

Oh, silly me. It looks rather like a real tortoise in the pictures. What type of UVB bulb are you using?
  2. tortdad

tortdad Well-Known Member

I don't see anything that offers hear once that bulb is turned off. I'm willing to bet the night time temps are too low
    Bee62 and Taylor T. like this.
  3. Markp

Markp New Member

Halogen bulb
  4. Markp

Markp New Member

Also just got up and she is alive still but hasnt moved at all and has literally stayed in exactlt same position we placed her last night
  5. Eduardo Hernandez

Eduardo Hernandez Active Member

You need a UVB bulb. A halogen bulb is just heat. I recommend a PowerSun bulb from ZooMed. It's both UVB and heat.
    Taylor T. and Markp like this.
  6. Eduardo Hernandez

Eduardo Hernandez Active Member

She is most likely too cold. In open enclosure like that, the heat just rises up and doesn't already out throughout the enclosure.
  7. Bee62

Bee62 Well-Known Member Today is my birthday!

Germany, Lower Saxony, Hardegsen, Ludwigshöhe
    That she didn`t move at all is a bad sign. She is very sick. Please visit a VET that is familiar with reptiles. Mayby she needs antibiotics. I am sure she has a RI because of cold temperatures.
    All other points are already mentioned: The enclosure is much too small, to dry with the false soil and your tort needs a heat lamp for the night ( a CHE ) and a UV producing bulb too and a closed or covered enclosure.
    Please change these things for the life of your tortoise.
  8. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Well-Known Member

That does not produce UVB, which they need to produce calcium for their bones and shell to develop properly. Are you going to a vet today? Do you have a incandescent light bulb in your house that you could give it to your tortoise? Those produce some heat, and could keep him warm until you take him to a vet.
  9. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

We are trying to help you as much as possible, thank you for staying with us and doing your best to help your tortoise!
    Please take him out of that totally unsuitable hamster/bird cage and put him in a sterlite tub with a lid and a few holes punched in the top. No wood shavings, please, it is entirely unsuitable and dangerous, drying him out and maybe being swallowed and killing him. You can use orchid bark but while he is sick you should just use newspaper or paper towels. You can carry him to the vet in his sterlite/plastic container.

The most important thing now for him is to be seen by a good reptile vet and given some professional care. He can recover, most likely!
    All the best, really! Keep us posted!
    Markp and Taylor T. like this.
  10. Markp

Markp New Member

I am thankful for all your advice and know you are trying to help me.
    I have contacted a vet and he will be seen very soon.i have bought some reptoboost and i am feeding him via a syringe until the appointment.ive bought him a brandnew uv lamp and a heatlamp.orchid bark ?? I will go down the pet shop and ask for some
    Many thanks everyone.
  11. enzot91

enzot91 Member

Pets at Home in the UK sell their own brand orchid bark. It's probably slightly more expensive than what you'd likely pay for it elsewhere but it does the job.
  12. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

While he's sick keep tps above 80 everywhere in the enclosure. A large tank will do temporarily if you can find one cheap. When he's well again he'll need a larger enclosure. The pet stores don't tell you that. They have them in little tanks and people think "oh! I can make a setup like that"...then the poor torts are stuck in tanks their entire lives....
  13. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Still watching and rooting for you and your tortoise!
  14. Bee62

Are there any news ?
  15. Markp

Markp New Member

Hi all tort been vets to a reptilian expert from origin vets.we spoke about his enclosure and said that it was perfect for my type of tort and whilst she yup a she lol.is still ill keep her in the small enclosure.under any circumstances DO NOT put her in a glass tank.she had parasites in her poop and she is very weak so injection of antibiotics and i have to feed her through a tube in her stomach with some intensive care food.already she is improving.thanks giys for your advice and concerns.she aint out of the woods yet so fingers crossed
  16. Markp

Markp New Member

17. Markp

Markp New Member

18. Markp

Markp New Member

Gonna go back in two weeks and have her jaw filed down as she has a poor jaw line
  19. Bee62

Are you sure that you had been visited a reptile familiar VET and not a vet for guinea pigs, rabbits and hamsters ? For these animals your cage would fit, but not for your tort. Vets often have no idea.....
    And your poor tort hasn`t smiled for the picture. Her eyes are still swollen, her tounge is not really red and she could hardly breathe. That`s is my impression from your picture.
  20. Markp

Markp New Member

Yes reptile speciaist. Oh i really thiught she was smiling ( seriously:rolleyes: ) and she is breathing fine.unfortunatley she hgas proplapsed so shes really poorly