Move lights

Nicolachurch27

Location (City and/or State)
Northants
Hi all
Quick query, should we move our lights so they are in just one area as opposed to be being spread out?

Pic attached for attention?
Many Thanks

20200401_180037.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If this is working and your tortoise is eating and growing, temps are where you want them, and things aren't drying out too much. I'd leave it alone.

Because overhead lights desiccate the carapace, I try to run a minimum. Some of my closed chambers only have a 25 watt bulb to give them a little warm spot to go to. If anything, I would just unscrew one of those bulbs and go with just one. Make sure your temps stay where they need to be if you do this.

Its a judgement call and it really depends on many factors. The answer could also be different for winter or summer in the same enclosure. For something like this, there isn't really a right or wrong way to do it. More personal preference and observation of the results, with adjustments if needed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’d suggest a few changes overall really.

Substrate - looks way too dry & has those darn white bits in there that torts like to eat and could lead to impaction. Id swap out your substrate with fine grade orchid bark, or coco coir or finer cypress mulch. Nice & moist.

Temp Gauge - get a digital one with a probe so you can place the probe at tort level.

CHE - is your che providing good heat throughout the enclosure. I think i’d have the che centered, with lights on either side. Your temp probe also seems too high, it’s not measuring accurately.

Hide - Id follow @Tom ’s lead, get a plastic rubbermaid container, remove the lid, flip upside down cut a small entrance so your tort has a place to crawl into.

Lights - id put one far left, one far right with CHE in the center.

Water Dish - id get a clay terracotta saucer, and use that.

Hope these tips help.

Nicolachurch27

Northants
If this is working and your tortoise is eating and growing, temps are where you want them, and things aren't drying out too much. I'd leave it alone.

Because overhead lights desiccate the carapace, I try to run a minimum. Some of my closed chambers only have a 25 watt bulb to give them a little warm spot to go to. If anything, I would just unscrew one of those bulbs and go with just one. Make sure your temps stay where they need to be if you do this.

Its a judgement call and it really depends on many factors. The answer could also be different for winter or summer in the same enclosure. For something like this, there isn't really a right or wrong way to do it. More personal preference and observation of the results, with adjustments if needed.
Thanks Tom
We also keep seeing conflicting information about what temperature the enclosure should be during the daytime? Can you shed any light on this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep my closed chambers for babies 80-85F degrees day and night.

Nicolachurch27

Northants
I’d suggest a few changes overall really.

Substrate - looks way too dry & has those darn white bits in there that torts like to eat and could lead to impaction. Id swap out your substrate with fine grade orchid bark, or coco coir or finer cypress mulch. Nice & moist.

Temp Gauge - get a digital one with a probe so you can place the probe at tort level.

CHE - is your che providing good heat throughout the enclosure. I think i’d have the che centered, with lights on either side. Your temp probe also seems too high, it’s not measuring accurately.

Hide - Id follow @Tom ’s lead, get a plastic rubbermaid container, remove the lid, flip upside down cut a small entrance so your tort has a place to crawl into.

Lights - id put one far left, one far right with CHE in the center.

Water Dish - id get a clay terracotta saucer, and use that.

Hope these tips help.
Thank you for your input, we have learnt so many good things since being in this group, i have ordered some Orchid Bark last night so i can remove the sand ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom
We also keep seeing conflicting information about what temperature the enclosure should be during the daytime? Can you shed any light on this?
All of Mark's suggestions above are valid. I already mentioned the substrate, and that is a big change that does need to be made, but the other stuff is personal preference and how each person likes to tweak things.

For a baby leopard, the ambient temp should not drop below 80 day or night. I like the day time ambient to rise into the high 80s or low 90s, and my heat lamps usually do this for me. A basking area around 95 should complete the lighting package. Add a UV tube if your climate sucks for tortoises and they have to be indoors all the time.

Nicolachurch27

Northants
All of Mark's suggestions above are valid. I already mentioned the substrate, and that is a big change that does need to be made, but the other stuff is personal preference and how each person likes to tweak things.

For a baby leopard, the ambient temp should not drop below 80 day or night. I like the day time ambient to rise into the high 80s or low 90s, and my heat lamps usually do this for me. A basking area around 95 should complete the lighting package. Add a UV tube if your climate sucks for tortoises and they have to be indoors all the time.
This is very much appreciated Thank you
Hopefully making these new adjustments gets her on the right path ?