My Box Turtles And Their New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi everyone when i introduced myself i showed some pic of my new sulcata, then i seen that people show their box turtles too, so i wanted to show some of mine and the new enclosure i built for them.
Its 8ft on every side. plan on making a 10ft 1 for my sulcata michi soon.

Attachments

• turtle4.jpg
    turtle4.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 111
  • turtle5.jpg
    turtle5.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 96
  • turtle3.jpg
    turtle3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Beautiful enclosure! What is the name of the colorful plant with the red?
Boxies are cute too!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Absolutely fantastic!! I love seeing turtle gardens and that's what your's is. Just beautiful. You are lucky to be able to use tropical plants. Does it get cold where you live?

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
terryo said:
Absolutely fantastic!! I love seeing turtle gardens and that's what your's is. Just beautiful. You are lucky to be able to use tropical plants. Does it get cold where you live?

Thank you
and no it dosn't get cold here too often if were lucky well have 2 months that realy get cold but that only happens like every other year. The turtles love it though i only had to bring them inside 2 time before when a cold front came through.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What do you use for a water dish? I didn't see any. I have a small pond in my turtle garden, and also a very large plant terra cotta saucer for the smaller turtles (althought the big ones go in there too).

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Momof4 said:
Beautiful enclosure! What is the name of the colorful plant with the red?
Boxies are cute too!

Thanks I worked hard to make that for them I still plan on adding a few more different plants in there to, also the plants with the red leave are (Delray Plants croton petra) not sure where you live but by me you can find them at wal-mart, home depot and just about any plant nursery.

terryo said:
What do you use for a water dish? I didn't see any. I have a small pond in my turtle garden, and also a very large plant terra cotta saucer for the smaller turtles (althought the big ones go in there too).

I use a jumbo sized exxo-terra (I think) water dish with a ramp (for the little ones). It's perfect for them to have nice soak and ez to get in and out of.

ascott said:
What a fun enclosure....and a beautiful turtle...especially great second pic.....:D

Yea he is awsome I've had him the longest. Once i get some pictures of them all I'll make a new thread and show you my "Army", Also since you liked him i took a couple more pics. Heres.....Gruden :D

Attachments

• IMG_20120819_143701.jpg
    IMG_20120819_143701.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 37
  • gruden.jpg
    gruden.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 43
  • gruden1.jpg
    gruden1.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 32
  • gruden2.jpg
    gruden2.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 26

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Nice, nice, nice. Next time post these in the box turtle section. Many on here have three toed, and yours are beauties.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
yagyujubei said:
Nice, nice, nice. Next time post these in the box turtle section. Many on here have three toed, and yours are beauties.

Oh i didn't know there was a section i just though "All other pictures" was for them. Thanks i'll go find it

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the wide variety of plants you have in there, it's so visually pleasing. Beautiful turtle too!!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
What a spectacular outdoor enclosure! Lucky turtles! And the one with the white on his face is really beautiful.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
MichiLove said:
Thanks I worked hard to make that for them I still plan on adding a few more different plants in there to, also the plants with the red leave are (Delray Plants croton petra) not sure where you live but by me you can find them at wal-mart, home depot and just about any plant nursery.

I use a jumbo sized exxo-terra (I think) water dish with a ramp (for the little ones). It's perfect for them to have nice soak and ez to get in and out of.

Yea he is awsome I've had him the longest. Once i get some pictures of them all I'll make a new thread and show you my "Army", Also since you liked him i took a couple more pics. Heres.....Gruden :D

I just though I'd would mention something. The Crotons (genus Croton) have potentially harmful phytochemicals. The garden Crotons (Codiaeum variegatum) are known to be toxic to vertebrates. So yo may want to remove them. They are know to cause skin problems.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Saloli said:
MichiLove said:

I just though I'd would mention something. The Crotons (genus Croton) have potentially harmful phytochemicals. The garden Crotons (Codiaeum variegatum) are known to be toxic to vertebrates. So yo may want to remove them. They are know to cause skin problems.

No there fine for them rember box turtles can eat mushrooms that are waay more toxic then any plant. Thanks for you concern and heres a list of non toxic plants that are safte to use.
http://lllreptile.com/info/library/...-/list-of-nontoxic-plants-for-your-terrarium/

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I am aware of that though the crotons cause problems for other turtles. After all they are euphorbia family plants land are similar to poinsettia in their toxicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.