My first addition!

Taz3388

Location (City and/or State)
Essex UK
Hi all
This is my first tort after a few months of researching. Just brought home today. Still un-named as I have no idea what sex it is.
Hope you like the look of him/her and the table layout.
Would be great to hear some feedback
Many thanks
Connor

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_202551_235.jpg
    IMG_20170920_202551_235.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 58

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Hey Connor, thanks for the posting. I love seeing hatchling photos, since I only have adults at the moment.

Since you wanted feedback I would point out an extremely useful thread for raising a star hatchling. It is at the top of the star tortoise section that you posted in.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/#post-1527279

A major take home point is the use of a closed chamber. Humidity is super important for hatchlings for lots of reasons and without a closed chamber it is extremely tough to ensure the 80/80 rule (80 degrees % 80% humidity) happens.

In the meantime please make sure you are soaking the hatchling to ensure it is not drying out.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Taz3388 As mentioned above, I would really recommend against an open table for a young star tortoise. You simply cannot control humidity and temps reliably, and especially with the lights, you will find it very dry and desiccating under those lights in an open table. Your water dish has steep, vertical sides that a baby tortoise will have trouble getting out of. Stars do like to soak in their water, and when trying to climb out, it can frequently tip over in that type dish. With the vertical side, it can get stuck against a side of the dish. I use the clay plant saucers that you use to put under pots. You can get appropriate sizes and they have sloped sides. It should be sunk into the substrate even with the top of the saucer, so as the tortoise tries to climb out, it's feet can touch and get traction on the substrate, not get "high centered"!

It looks like you have a mercury vapor bulb in the lower part of your picture. Although convenient for having heat and UVB all in one, they are extremely desiccating as they produce a tremendous amount of near-IR. I find that particularly bothersome for use with hatchlings.

Stars love to spend their time pushed under plants or under tufts of grass. I personally believe a star enclosure needs to include some potted plants with overhanging branches the tortoise can hide under. I use boston ferns, pothos ivy and spider plants chiefly for this. They also are able to eat some if they want, but mine love to rest under the overhanging plants. I do not believe they will do best in the bright lights of a well lit enclosure if it is open with no shaded areas. They need the bright light and UVB, but will naturally select a more diffuse, shaded area to rest and feel secure. I feel it best to offer that option for a healthy tortoise.

Read the post linked above on How to Raise a Healthy Star Tortoise for more ideas.