My First Baby Russian Enclosure

Luisinf09

We decided to purchase the Exo-Terra Medium-Low enclosure dimension 24" x 18" x 12" High. This is our first tortoise and from reading a lot of the previous threads it seems a smaller tank is OK for a hatchling. In time I know I will build a more proper Tortoise Table. Please give us tips along the way, we cannot wait to receive our new baby Russian tortoise next week :)

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 37

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Looks great!! My suggestion is to get a different thermometer.
Digital ones are much more accurate. I had those dial type thermometers before. Some forum members advised me of the inaccuracy. I bought 2 different digital thermometers (one was a thermo/hydrometer) and saw that the dial thermometer was off by 10-15 degrees!
I thought my basking spot was 95F, turns out it was over 100F
Also, not sure how small your baby russian will be but make sure that dish is shallow enough so that he/she cant tip over if they try to get out.
Cant wait to see pictures of the little one !!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh. . . your little guy can pretend to be a troll, living under the bridge. I like that hiding place. So many of our little acrobats climb up onto the half log then jump off the face, but the bridge has a railing so he can't jump off. Very good. That should be ok for a hatchling for a year or so. You'll know when he's getting too big for it.

You might think about cutting a hole for the UVB light. Screen blocks most of the beneficial UVB rays from passing through.

Luisinf09

Oh. . . your little guy can pretend to be a troll, living under the bridge. I like that hiding place. So many of our little acrobats climb up onto the half log then jump off the face, but the bridge has a railing so he can't jump off. Very good. That should be ok for a hatchling for a year or so. You'll know when he's getting too big for it.

You might think about cutting a hole for the UVB light. Screen blocks most of the beneficial UVB rays from passing through.
Getting a new light setup going with the repti sun 10.0 bulb and a 22" build so it will fit inside the enclosure and not have to sit on top of the screen mesh

Luisinf09

So I made some changes to our enclosure. I planted some organic basil in the enlclosure. I rinsed it very well and made sure that no substrate is on it to prevent accidental ingestion. The smell of the basil has worn off since I rinsed and cleaned it much and the leaves have become plump with water. Going to see if the baby tort will like it or not. Also I fixed his hide to be a little bigger with a half log we cut and also have a slate slab under the basking lamp for it. Tell me what u think. Curious about the basil I just want to plant things in the enclosure for it to eat. The logs Half logs I placed in front of the glass to prevent the tortoise from hitting its beak or walking into the glass. IMG_0239.JPGIMG_0235.JPG

Luisinf09

I did order an infrared thermometer and we are changing the UVB light bulb to a repti sun 10.0 UVB From the reviews and advice this bulb showed to be the better one in the market right now.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I know this is a hassle but you may want to shake your coco coir thru a metal grate to sift out the long fibers. My tort and others I've read about have had problem starting out with the tort getting fibers in its mouth while eating. The fibers are nearly unbreakable and the tort will go a bit nuts trying to claw it out. I used this paint roller grate to do it. Get at home depot. I like your 3D background piece alot.
artimg_wooster-5gal-roller-grid.jpg

Last edited:

Luisinf09

I know this is a hassle but you may want to shake your coco coir thru a metal grate to sift out the long fibers. My tort and others I've read about have had problem starting out with the tort getting fibers in its mouth while eating. The fibers are nearly unbreakable and the tort will go a bit nuts trying to claw it out. I used this paint roller grate to do it. Get at home depot. I like your 3D background piece alot.
artimg_wooster-5gal-roller-grid.jpg
Thanks. I used a substrate tool when I mix and spread it I didn't know that the fibers could be potentially bad for them. I'll sift out the fibers for sure. The scooper I have is made out of a metal mesh grate and sifts the substrate very well. Thanks for the tip ! image.jpg

stevenf625

5 Year Member
You'll never totally get fibers out but at least you'll get the longer ones.

First time I fed my tort on the coco he partially swallowed a 4" long fiber. He couldn't swallow it completely and he couldn't claw it out, so I had to pick him up and pull it out for him.
Since sifting the coco and placing food on a clean plate it hasn't been an issue. Eating bits of coco isn't harmful as it will pass through thier system.

Last edited:

Luisinf09

Worked on his enclosure today duh a more proper hide keeping it most and sifted the larger coconut fibers out of the substrate. Trying to maximize the amount of space it has to roam digging the hide was a better idea.

IMG_0262.JPG