My first Cherryhead Eggs

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am not 100 percent, but I seem to recall dents sometimes happen during laying, the momma does it. by accident of course. When i get back into tortoise keeping, I was thinking of getting cherries.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's exiting! You need an incubator with a rheostat. I think that a chicken egg incubator would work, but you'll need to be able to keep it humid...and those eggs take friggin forever to hatch. 180 something days? With a pencil, draw an x on top of the egg or the date that they were laid to show what is the "top" of the egg. Don't rotate them. Good luck! I recently decided that I'd take another shot at breeding but I'm still looking for adult females. Mine are too young.

Last edited:

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The dented one reminded me of the
Death Star. . . so when it hatches you have a galaxy full of names to use.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
.I let my eggs stay in the substrate . Its perfect for them . My red foot layed four eggs this year for the first time . Kelly told me to just keep them in the substrate thats how he does it . So I'm giving it a try .

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Congrats! :D They look nice and big. There are many RF experts that could give you some advice, I'm sure :D
I hope they hatch! You've been getting a lot of eggs recently. :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Congrats! :D They look nice and big. There are many RF experts that could give you some advice, I'm sure :D
I hope they hatch! You've been getting a lot of eggs recently. :)

Yes - it's been crazy here with egg laying and eggs hatching all at the same time. My shelled friends keep me very busy and I LOVE every minute of it!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just saw this!! How exciting!!! Sending good vibes your way!!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
It is likely that the dented one may not be viable. But incubate until it goes bad, it may be a surprise hatchling! I'm not sure what other types of torts/turtles you are hatching but cherries are not difficult. Are all those eggs from the one clutch? Is this your first time having your cherry girl lay eggs or is it her first time? Not to be a downer, but generally viability is low on a cherry's first few clutches.

Carl May wrote an article on how he does it. I think the article should help answer any questions you may have.Congrats!

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/e-breeding-2/incubation/

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool. If only seen dented eggs from Manouria. But that's rather common as they are soft shelled. Like Allegra said it may not be fertile but incubate anyways. When I use to incubate (with an incubator) red foot eggs i kept them mid 80s rather humid and substrate equal weight of water ratio. But now as mike stated I just leave them in the ground, or retrieve them for in soil incubation in the "egg pot". The "egg pot" is a 10 gallon aquarium filled with peat, sand and gravel mixture kept dry but the bottom is filled with water for moisture. It works great, and the little guys hatch out fully absorbed sac and ready to go. It's a more natural approach too. Also it's easier on me with as many that are kept here.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Very cool, my friend!! Cherries rule! Can't wait for them to hatch :)
Congrats!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great way to be wrapping up these last few days of the year. :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Cool. If only seen dented eggs from Manouria. But that's rather common as they are soft shelled. Like Allegra said it may not be fertile but incubate anyways. When I use to incubate (with an incubator) red foot eggs i kept them mid 80s rather humid and substrate equal weight of water ratio. But now as mike stated I just leave them in the ground, or retrieve them for in soil incubation in the "egg pot". The "egg pot" is a 10 gallon aquarium filled with peat, sand and gravel mixture kept dry but the bottom is filled with water for moisture. It works great, and the little guys hatch out fully absorbed sac and ready to go. It's a more natural approach too. Also it's easier on me with as many that are kept here.
What is this "egg pot" of which you speak? I am intrigued!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's just a 10 gallon aquarium filled with a soil mixture I bury the eggs in and leave ambient int greenhouse. Same hatch rate as incubator but never have to check on the eggs or adjust humidity etc...