My first enclosure build.

DanB

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Right now my Redfoot is living in a plastic sweater box which doesn't give him much room and not big enough for live plants so I decided to build him a bigger home that will last until he is moved outside. It will be an L shaped enclosure with the long side being 6 feet long and the short side 4 feet long with walls 1 foot high. All of the wood has been cut and stained and it's now going to dry and outgass for a few days before I put it together.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Sounds like a dream home for a lucky tortoise! What are you lining it with to keep the wood from rotting?
Post pics of your process if you can. It's inspiring to see it come together.

DanB

South Florida
After the stain is dry I'll coat the inside with butcher block oil which is food safe. I'll also line it up to the substrate level with plastic sheeting. I have been talking pics but need to find a host for linking.

Dan

DanB

South Florida
Right now I'm researching live plants I can put in it. I plan on putting a 2 inch layer of soil covered with Cyprus mulch. The short side will have a one foot hide built in.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a spider and a geranium that enjoy my 6000 led plant bulb, UVB and CHE

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love it when our members show us the step-by-step pictures of their enclosure builds. And having your new one standing up in front of the door gives us a VERY good idea of just how big your new enclosure is! I am not familiar with using the oil like you did, and how well it is going to protect the wood. Let us know how it works out. So far I'm very impressed with your new enclosure! CAn't wait to see the finished and populated product!

DanB

South Florida
Today Ill cut out the door to his hide in the panel I have already made, attach the wall and roof. The roof will just sit on top for easy access for cleaning. I did a test with the butcher block oil on a piece of scrap wood I stained and oiled. It does not bead water like I want it to so I'm looking into other waterproofing options.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I take a heavy duty black plastic 30 gallon garbage bag (probably not big enough for your table), and line the bottom of the table with it, smoothing the corners and attaching it up the sides with Gorilla tape. Then I staple occasionally through the tape into the wood.

On a larger table I used a product I saw on TV - https://www.flexsealproducts.com/pr...xD0liQd3L0JIMYCzbU57AOLm8o68ibDYaAmNVEALw_wcB

I had a bit of space in a few places where the wall didn't meet perfectly with the floor, and when I sprayed the sealant it dripped through the cracks. But it's safe for animals and dries rubbery. I've had it in use now for a whole season and the tortoise living in there shows no ill effects. It holds water great! and protects the wood from rotting.

DanB

South Florida
I dont want the wood getting water spots from misting/fogging. I will seal it with something to show the wood but protect it from the water.

DanB

South Florida
No the top will be open, Living in South Florida I don't need to keep the humidity in, its everywhere already. My humidity indicator in his pen now is sitting on the 1 inch of substrate and its reading 85%, his new area will have a few inches of dirt then the mulch so it should have no problem keeping the humidity at his level up to the required levels.

Chasen

Galveston
Nice build. I'm impressed with your skills and look forward to seeing the finished product.