My Greek hatchling is lethargic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismail

5 Year Member
Laura said:
what about calcium?

i give him regular soaks in calcivet (with D3), sprinkle his food with it too and use a multivitamin Nekton Rep twice a week in his soaks

ismail

5 Year Member
RE: Help!! my greek is not eating

Any comments please?! :shy::shy:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: Help!! my greek is not eating

I would say to stop offering the larve ---and be sure to soak this little one each and every day two times at least--and be sure the water remains warm.

I also would be sure that you do not allow his enclosure temp to drop below 80 (for awhile until he gets some spunk going) day and night (use an appropriate heating element for night so he can sleep).

Also, if he is trying to sleep himself away, don't let him. Wake him up every so often and make him get up, get a soak, get a bit of food offered to him---carry him around a bit---a really smart lady on this forum shares(maggie ;))---to not let them sleep themselves away--and I totally agree, if his will is low right now, he needs to ride on yours for awhile until he is healthier, they seem to decline when left to sleep away their life....so carry him around a bit, interrupt his day of sleeping...if you can get him outside in any sun (even is for a short period of time) then do that....let him sit on your lap for a bit while you watch tv, or while you are on the forum or things of the like....

But he needs some hydration and encouragement for movement and this may spark his appetite a bit as well....

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My goodness, baby tortoises are SO cute. :)

From the pictures he looks good - the eyes don't look swollen to me, and the legs look skinny, but still within the range of normal. Keep on helping him eat for a while, and as he gets stronger, hopefully he'll eat on his own more.

Good that you are supplementing with extra calcium, the plastron being soft is a little concerning.

The carapace (top shell) looks nice and smooth, good job! :)

ismail said:
Laura said:
what about calcium?

i give him regular soaks in calcivet (with D3), sprinkle his food with it too and use a multivitamin Nekton Rep twice a week in his soaks

ismail

5 Year Member
RE: My Greek hatchling is lethargic. _UPDATE 3

Hello again,

Tom seems much more happier now. He forages for food and has pooped everyday in the last two days. he's eating his sowthistle and seem to understand when i'm going to feed him because he comes next to my hand!!

Do you think i should continue giving him the carrot food given that he started eating greens?

Thanks all for your help!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)

Glad to hear the good news! Sounds like you also got some great advice from ascott. Keeping the little guy warm, hydrated, and waking him up is a good plan.

I don't have experience with saving a baby tortoise, but with the sick adult tortoises that I've rehabilitated, I always continue whatever I find helps them for at least 2-3 weeks. So, if the baby food soaks and feeding him the sowthistle is working, then continue doing that for 2-3 more weeks. You might alternate different kinds of baby food, just to not give him a vitamin A overdose from the carrots - pumpkin or something maybe? If you have access to other greens, you can try giving those, too.

I would add some extra calcium powder (or depending on what is available, ground up eggshells or cuttlefish bone) a couple times per week into the food you are syringe feeding, too - the weakness may be from lack of calcium, and it will help harden the shell, too.

ismail said:
Hello again,

Tom seems much more happier now. He forages for food and has pooped everyday in the last two days. he's eating his sowthistle and seem to understand when i'm going to feed him because he comes next to my hand!!

Do you think i should continue giving him the carrot food given that he started eating greens?

Thanks all for your help!

ismail

5 Year Member

biochemnerd808 said:
Any updates? How is your little one?

Hi Katie,

He's still smaller than his siblings and gained just 4g in 3 months but every now and then I see him eating. I still have that feeling he is not 100% ok but with summer at the door i think he may improve his health.

Thanks for asking, and my aplogies for the late reply! :shy:

johnhnhn

5 Year Member
From experience, I would get rid of any wood in his enclosure. My guy got sick because he was allergic to the wood enclosure. He got sick again when I placed a Petco half wood log in there for his hiding place.

Just speaking from my experience, ditch the nature stuff. Plastic and coco fiber all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.