My Hatchling Redfoot's Pad!

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
My five months old Redfoot is here! Here are some shots of his enclosure.
40 gallon tank
Coco coir base with coco coir/moss/soil mixed in
Sphagnum moss in the hides
150watt CHE on thermostat
10.0 uv strip (hole in screen cover)
Two spider plants
Two pothos
One water dish for now because I got a size too big
I was prepping his food (collards, raddicio and rehydrated opuntia cactus) so the dish isn't in there
Tin foil over it all! Temp and humidity holding strong! 1442503098093-927514871.jpg 14425031676861190551658.jpg 1442503581270-468599517.jpg 1442503619309-102983559.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Even though I've also used Pathos near my tortoises and my fish ponds and have had tortoises and fishes eat them. I believe someone here recently told me that they are mildly poisonous.
If so, the effect could be worse for a baby.
Hopefully someone will soon confirm if they are truly safe or not.
It looks nice in there, but try for a substrate that isn't so soggy wet.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Even though I've also used Pathos near my tortoises and my fish ponds and have had tortoises and fishes eat them. I believe someone here recently told me that they are mildly poisonous.
The soil mix is actually very dark compared to the normal Coco. The top layer is actually not wet.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Oh and thank you for the info on the plant being possibly mildly poisonous! I had gotten a list of plants from a forum member who also has a hatchling red foot. Hopefully the plants are still safe for him, but I hope that someone confirms soon either way. Thank you so much!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh and thank you for the info on the plant being possibly mildly poisonous! I had gotten a list of plants from a forum member who also has a hatchling red foot. Hopefully the plants are still safe for him, but I hope that someone confirms soon either way. Thank you so much!
I didn't want to not mention it and then read later that you had a problem.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My five months old Redfoot is here! Here are some shots of his enclosure.
40 gallon tank
Coco coir base with coco coir/moss/soil mixed in
Sphagnum moss in the hides
150watt CHE on thermostat
10.0 uv strip (hole in screen cover)
Two spider plants
Two pothos
One water dish for now because I got a size too big
I was prepping his food (collards, raddicio and rehydrated opuntia cactus) so the dish isn't in there
Tin foil over it all! Temp and humidity holding strong! View attachment 148925 View attachment 148926 View attachment 148928 View attachment 148929

Looks good to me, no good with plants so can't comment on that. Maybe put a flat Rock in there, level with substrate, so s/he trims the nails when walking over it. I think you have already done it, but mine can't sit directly under the CHE, the CHE is just for the ambient temp, not for basking in my enclosure. Have you done this too?

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Looks good to me, no good with plants so can't comment on that. Maybe put a flat Rock in there, level with substrate, so s/he trims the nails when walking over it. I think you have already done it, but mine can't sit directly under the CHE, the CHE is just for the ambient temp, not for basking in my enclosure. Have you done this too?
Once I get some smaller terra cotta dishes for water I will definitely add a stone to trim nails. Thanks for the tip! The CHE is set up on one side. Realistically he can sit under it if he likes, but I'm striving for the warm side being mid to high 80s with the cool side being lower 80s.