My Tortoise has got to be put to Sleep

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Michael thank you for taking time to help me out. We all grew to love the little guy but in the end there was no real chance of recovery.
My vet mentioned about dehydration but I’m not sure how as I often saw him drink and he was soaked daily.

It’s not going to put me off, but next time I am going to rescue an adult. There are soooo many looking for homes in he UK. I’m going to spend the rest of this year modifying my outdoor enclosure and making an outdoor box, I hope to rescue maybe an adult Greek or a group of Hermann.
Good for you!!

Grannie griff

Manchester
Had some very bad news from my vet.
I posted a week ago that my tortoise has become lethargic and hadn’t been eating and also his eyes had shut and become swollen.

Got blood test results back today that is showing kidney failure. The uric acid result was so high that they couldn’t even give me a figure as it was off the scale. Red and white blood cells both very low. Vet said we could insert feeding tube to rehydrate him but she said the prognosis was very poor as damage is irreparable.

I’m very upset, but I suspect some damage had been done before I got him. When I brought him home from the pet store the guy told me he was very dry. I battled gritty urates for weeks and he has had them on and off since I got him. I’ve done everything by this forum and he was bathed daily so I’m hoping that it was nothing that I done.
I’m going to miss my little guy.
Aww what a shame you did your best I have a horse field who didn't eat for weeks vet said it was parasites had treatments for a month 3 visits feeds ect seems to be ok but doesn't eat very much it's a worry isn't it we can only do our best it's nothing you did take care x

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Had some very bad news from my vet.
I posted a week ago that my tortoise has become lethargic and hadn’t been eating and also his eyes had shut and become swollen.

Got blood test results back today that is showing kidney failure. The uric acid result was so high that they couldn’t even give me a figure as it was off the scale. Red and white blood cells both very low. Vet said we could insert feeding tube to rehydrate him but she said the prognosis was very poor as damage is irreparable.

I’m very upset, but I suspect some damage had been done before I got him. When I brought him home from the pet store the guy told me he was very dry. I battled gritty urates for weeks and he has had them on and off since I got him. I’ve done everything by this forum and he was bathed daily so I’m hoping that it was nothing that I done.
I’m going to miss my little guy.
So sorry for your loss. My heart hurts for you.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
I’m so sorry you had to go through that
I thought it might be helpful to share that when any animal or person has kidney failure they can no longer process the water they recieve to a normal benefit. This means too that kidney failure also attributes to dehydration. They literally can’t drink enough to flush their system of the build up of waste in blood stream because the kidneys no longer function in the filtering role they were designed for. Hence they pee out the fluids given but to no great cleansing or hydrating benefit. That is why you saw no improvement while you were hydrating, (although still the absolute right thing to do), his kidneys were just too far gone. Who knows why your baby’s kidneys failed but it sounds as if you were doing all the right things when you reached out. It’s also possible it was hatched with underdeveloped kidneys or it could have been poor initial care from the pet store. You really tried! So Sorry for your loss.