My wilma

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
Hello all! I'm a new guy! Please I would like an advise for mu cute Wilma! She had a scar one year now and stays the same! I'm worried! What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_1701243241049.jpg
    IMG_1701243241049.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She's adorable. So if it is a year old and still the same, why worry? It's not bothering her, right? @Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Someone told me it's shell rot! I hope its nothing!
That's pretty normal wear and tear. Nothing to do about it.

Welcome to the forum. This is for you:

philipgreece

Kefalonia
That's pretty normal wear and tear. Nothing to do about it.

Welcome to the forum. This is for you:
I had her one day out in nature and I saw this! Thank you!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You have assurance from our top experts, so don't worry. Welcome to the forum! Let us know more about your tortoise and how you keep him, and we'll see if there is anything that should be changed.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
You have assurance from our top experts, so don't worry. Welcome to the forum! Let us know more about your tortoise and how you keep him, and we'll see if there is anything that should be changed.
Thank you so much! OK let's take is from the beginning! I have them 3 years! The first year I didn't know anything from tortoise! I didn't know anything for lamps and food! So 1 year and a half I provide them uv light arcadia t5 pro tube lamp and Basking lamps 75 Watts! I soak them every 2 days for 30 minutes! I use coco coir substrate and I keep it a little bit wet! I feed them hawkbit,mallow,radicchio, hibiscus,mexican petunia when i find and i collect all these flowers from nature and not from stores woth chemicals and sometimes romain.lettuce or cucumber! Everytime I see sun in winter inget them out! I provide them every 2 days calcium from arcadia and once in a weak I give them soak with electrolytes! Also I provide them vitamin A from bird drops! Last year my vet checked them and she took feces sample and gave me panacur because they had worms and antibiotics injections! But every winter my female slows down and she comes out very difficult! I wake her up a little bit to feed her! Is this give her stress?I think she is stressed and she is afraid a little bit! Some days ago she dropped me off down to the floor but I checked her! I didn't see something weird or cracked shell or any pink colour on plastron or in shell !Should i let her alone?I do it because I don't want to.loose her Weight! Male works perfect! He basks and wakes up alone! The only bad is that I don't have enough space to give them!

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As Yvonne said, it's nothing, don't worry about. If it gets bigger, then clean with soft tooth brush and put OTC antifungal cream, like athletes foot cream on it. For now though it just looks like a chip that will eventually heal. They heal very slowly.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Thank you so much! OK let's take is from the beginning! I have them 3 years! The first year I didn't know anything from tortoise! I didn't know anything for lamps and food! So 1 year and a half I provide them uv light arcadia t5 pro tube lamp and Basking lamps 75 Watts! I soak them every 2 days for 30 minutes! I use coco coir substrate and I keep it a little but wet! I feed them hawkbit,mallow,radicchio, hibiscus,and sometimes romain.lettuce or cucumber! Everytime I see sun in winter inget them out! I provide them every 2 days calcium from arcadia and once in a weak I give them soak with electrolytes! Also I provide them vitamin A from bird drops! Last year my vet checked them and she took feces sample and gave me panacur because they had worms and antibiotics injections! But every winter my female slows down and she comes out very difficult! I wake her up a little bit to feed her! Is this give her stress? I do it because I don't want to.loose her Wright! Male works perfect! He basks and wakes up alone!
As Yvonne said, it's nothing, don't worry about. If it gets bigger, then clean with soft tooth brush and put OTC antifungal cream, like athletes foot cream on it. For now though it just looks like a chip that will eventually heal. They heal very slowly.
They told to put silver sulfadiazine cream! Its antimicrobial! Is this cream right?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you so much! OK let's take is from the beginning! I have them 3 years! The first year I didn't know anything from tortoise! I didn't know anything for lamps and food! So 1 year and a half I provide them uv light arcadia t5 pro tube lamp and Basking lamps 75 Watts! I soak them every 2 days for 30 minutes! I use coco coir substrate and I keep it a little but wet! I feed them hawkbit,mallow,radicchio, hibiscus,and sometimes romain.lettuce or cucumber! Everytime I see sun in winter inget them out! I provide them every 2 days calcium from arcadia and once in a weak I give them soak with electrolytes! Also I provide them vitamin A from bird drops! Last year my vet checked them and she took feces sample and gave me panacur because they had worms and antibiotics injections! But every winter my female slows down and she comes out very difficult! I wake her up a little bit to feed her! Is this give her stress? I do it because I don't want to.loose her Wright! Male works perfect! He basks and wakes up alone!

They told to put silver sulfadiazine cream! Its antibacterial cream! Is this cream right?

They told to put silver sulfadiazine cream! Its antibacterial cream! Is this cream right?
That's a great product but needs a prescription. Will do no harm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Never wake up a brumating tortoise to feed it, unless you are going to keep it awake. The food will rot in their gut during brumation and kill them.
The sulfadiazine cream is an antibiotic. I said antifungal cream
Who are these people telling you to do things? I wouldn't listen to them!!!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Never wake up a brumating tortoise to feed it, unless you are going to keep it awake. The food will rot in their gut during brumation and kill them.
The sulfadiazine cream is an antibiotic. I said antifungal cream
Who are these people telling you to do things? I wouldn't listen to them!!!
It was from a tortoise page in Facebook! OK so antifungal cream! Thank you! But I want to keep it awake! My male wakes up! My female sometimes in winter! So to let her wake up alone?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was from a tortoise page in Facebook! OK so antifungal cream! Thank you! But I want to keep it awake! My male wakes up! My female sometimes in winter! So to let her wake up alone?
Stop taking advice from FB. Those people barely know their own name, they sure don't know anything about tortoises!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Look here. Either the antifungal cream or the antibiotics cream may help, depending on what the problem is, and I think we already concluded from the start that there is NO PROBLEM, right?

philipgreece

Kefalonia
It was from a tortoise page in Facebook! OK so antifungal cream! Thank you

Thank you! Please can you give me an advice because I don't know how brumation works! I turn the lamps on every day! Should I leave her wake up on her own? I have water for her and food everyday!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Look here. Either the antifungal cream or the antibiotics cream may help, depending on what the problem is, and I think we already concluded from the start that there is NO PROBLEM, right?
Ok thank you! I will just keep an eye on her! Because I don't know what brumation works! Should I live alone to wake up and eats?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Shell rot is a bacterial infestation and usually looks much worse. Since this "chip" haven't got worse in a year, I doubt it's a shell rot. And it happens really rare among greeks, russians and other temperate species of tortoises.

Shell fungus is a more common thing (if you have seen a brie cheese - that's how damaged areas look). However, it's a rare thing among temperate species. Redfooted and other tropical species are more prone to it due to high humidity requirements. If shell fungus is not treated it can pave the way to a shell rot.

These are two different diseases and require different treatment: antibacterial cremes and sometimes antibiotics injections for a shell rot and antifungial creme for a shell fungus.

--
On brumation:
Here is comprehensive information on brumation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/toms-brumation-thread.201823/#post-2033423
If you are not going to brumate her - just keep her warm (above 70F) and leave ambient lights for 14 hours a day (not UVB, but basking and auxillary lightning).
If you want to brumate - you need to get a fridge, lower temperatures, several weeks of intensive soakings and fastening.

All the details are in the linked thread.

Keeping her awake in the winter doesn't harm. And perhaps is a best choice for sick tortoises. I might have got it wrong, but did you drop her? In that case I would opt to keep her awake.