Turtwig

5 Year Member
Hello!

Working on an outdoor enclosure for Three Toed Box Turtles and would love to have some native edible plants for them to munch on. I'm wondering if anyone knows any that they particularly like or dislike! I'm sure there are plenty since the turtles themselves are native here. I've heard they enjoy some Turk's Cap (Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii), but other than that does anyone know what some good native plants would be for their enclosures?

I'm in the Blackland Prairie ecoregion of North Texas.

Shellion Mama

Location (City and/or State)
South Texas
This probably won’t help you much but I have a ranch in deep, East Texas. I have lots of wild box turtles living on my property.
We have wild raspberries & blackberries that grow.
I see them eating the berries more than anything else we have growing.
They set up camp nearby to eat them.
I found one that was stuck in her shell so I took her in and it’s hard to get her to eat anything other than berries & worms.
If you have or know someone who has rural property with native plants growing maybe let yours see if there’s anything they’re drawn too that’s safe to eat?
I’ve planted things for my shellions and they don’t like everything so not all of it gets eaten. No matter how hard I try to get them to eat it.

Turtwig

5 Year Member
That's awesome! We have lots of dewberry on the property so I'll be sure to let them have some, but it's pretty spikey and brambly so I probably won't plant it in the enclosure itself.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Make sure the plants weren't sprayed with pesticides.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
berries worms, slugs, bugs of most types, squash etc...I keep box turtles and I have never seen them eating any green stuff growing in their pond area DSCN1725.JPG

Reactions: Ink