Neck, um, thingy?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
I've noticed the skin on Littlefoot's neck snags on the little pointy front (nuchal I think?) scute when he pulls his head in or out. There isn't a wound, but definitely a raw spot. Is this normal? Is there anything I should do?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I'll try...idk if my phone can catch it though.

Its the little circle thing.

Attachments

• 1382498371986.jpg
    1382498371986.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 155

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That kinda looks like it is to the side more than the middle ---so not looking like it is inline with the area you mention???? Have you tried flushing the spot a couple of times per day and apply an antibiotic cream/gel?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Is there a rough spot on the inside of the shell that could irritate his skin?

If not then just try not to startle the tort. A startled tort will rapidly pull his head into his shell.

If so, try using a small piece of 400 wet sandpaper and buff lightly to smooth out the rough shell area. You could even use coconut or olive oil as your lubricant to lightly sand the shell. Remember just a little pressure and just a tiny piece of sand paper a little larger than your finger. You're buffing it smooth not trying to remove any great quantity of shell.

Putting a dab of ointment on the spot on the neck may also help.

Good luck.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
It is perfectly in line with it, he's just squirming in the pic, so it looks crooked. He just arrived in the mail this morning, so not much has been done except soaks and feeding today. :/

I'll try not to startle him, but he's kinda scared of everything right now. He's asleep for the night, but I'll check his shell in the morning. Would a paper/foam nail file work?

Any recommendations on ointments?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Looks like an abrasion. I like the fine grit sandpaper idea...works sorta like my baby toothbrush technique.

On these guys, I do like using a baby toothbrush (or any fine bristle ones) to gently scrub/massage the lesion. What that does is debride the area to remove dead/damaged cells, remove dirt and bacteria, and stimulate that is medically called "the inflammatory cascade", meaning it sorta pisses off the cells and they more quickly regenerate. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Clean with diluted betadine or nolvasan (any feed store) and keep clean.
I'm not a huge fan of ointments because the oils can potentially delay wound healing, however, it also can act as a protectant.

Instead, you can keep cleaning daily with the diluted Nolvesan or betadine. I do 4:1 solution. Or even sodium chloride. Buy one of those cool curved tip syringes and BLAST the area. That creates enough PSI of pressure to flush and stimulate.

Then, call Chris and let him know about this. I would bet that the little guy struggled at some point and rubbed himself raw. Chris is very reputable and caring...I'd doubt he'd send you an injured animal. More likely some dumba$$ box handler tipped him and he did the "tortoise flail".

Hope this helps.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Sandy thanks so much! :)

Unfortunately, without going to the vet, it looks like I can't get betadine at all or nolvasan in less than a gallon...I don't really have that kinda money to spend. :/

What if I (file/sand if necessary) "**** off the cells" with a toothbrush, and use coconut oil? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=81518

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Just reread your post and noticed you also suggested sodium chloride...are we talking dissolved table salt or...?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I scrubbed it with the toothbrush...the goofball loved it...kept stickin his head farther and farther out. XD I also learned headrubs in bathtime make him poop. :eek:

It looks a bit better today. Chris emailed back and said he would just leave it be... *shrug*

Oh, and I felt up his shell and it didn't feel rough to me, but I think I'll grind the edge smooth, just in case.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Here's a picture of his neck today.

Oops. Forgot the attachment.

Attachments

• DSCN0111.JPG
    DSCN0111.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 59