Need advice (egg question)

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Took her in today for surgery. Really hoping she will pull through this. My vet, Dr. Finch seems to know what she is doing. She thinks she has probably been holding the eggs since before I got her. The poor thing. The surgery will be tomorrow as long as she doesn't have any infections currently.
Thanks for checking in on her. This has been a very stressful, frustrating situation. It really sucks when there is so little information available.

I can imagine. Fingers crossed for Scarlett, poor thing. Hope you're okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well, no infections, so tried to operate this afternoon. Unfortunately she would not go to sleep. Vet said she had given as much anesthesia as was comfortable with. Going to give fluids so she can metabolize the drugs and try again on Friday with a different drug. Was really hoping there wouldn't be any hiccups and this would be over.
Really hoping I am doing the right thing and chose a good Dr.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett's surgery was successful today. There was 5 additional eggs that were not solidified and a tear in her uterus. Dr. removed a lot of yolk stuff from her abdomen and repaired the uterus. I am guessing that there was a calcium deficiency in her diet? She ate 2 cuddle bones since I got her. She will have to be on antibiotics for a while, but was awake when the vet called me this afternoon. Poor thing. I can't wait to be able to bring her home. Hopefully by next Friday she will be eating and pooping good enough to come home.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't keep leopards and I've never bred torts, so I have no experience to contribute.
For what it's worth, it sounds like you are doing a FANTASTIC job caring for Scarlett. The whole thing sounds very distressing but here's hoping she's turned the corner and is on her way to a speedy recovery, thanks to your diligence!!! :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't keep leopards and I've never bred torts, so I have no experience to contribute.
For what it's worth, it sounds like you are doing a FANTASTIC job caring for Scarlett. The whole thing sounds very distressing but here's hoping she's turned the corner and is on her way to a speedy recovery, thanks to your diligence!!! :)
Thank you very much. It means a lot for you to say that. I really hope I have done the right thing for her. Certainly trying.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Scarlett's surgery was successful today. There was 5 additional eggs that were not solidified and a tear in her uterus. Dr. removed a lot of yolk stuff from her abdomen and repaired the uterus. I am guessing that there was a calcium deficiency in her diet? She ate 2 cuddle bones since I got her. She will have to be on antibiotics for a while, but was awake when the vet called me this afternoon. Poor thing. I can't wait to be able to bring her home. Hopefully by next Friday she will be eating and pooping good enough to come home.

Excellent news, Jodie! Speedy recovery Scarlett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Brought Scarlett home tonight. She stopped eating there and still hasn't pooped. I have a better bigger enclosure for her and can hand feed her. She ate when we got home. Going to give her some mineral oil n lots of soaks tomorrow.
The patch is kind of cool. They covered the whole area with fiberglass. It is essentially an additional outer shell that will stay on for up to 2 years.
Not completely out of the woods yet, but on our way.
I will take pictures of her tomorrow. Her eyes look smaller, kind of sunken. Is this dehydration? They had a tub they were soaking her in, but I don't know for how long or often. She is obviously stressed out and they gave her pain drugs today. She did not urinate in the box on the way home, and that is a first.
Anyway wish me luck, say a quick prayer. Thank you for reading. Really appreciate any helpful advice anyone has.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi im new here and just became mum to little girl tortoise myself last Friday. Ive nothing constructive to offer but just wanted to say your little ones ordeal brought tears to my eyes! Well done to you for being so great and spotting something was wrong and getting the help she needed! Your instincts were spot on!! I wish her a speedy and full recovery bless her

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi im new here and just became mum to little girl tortoise myself last Friday. Ive nothing constructive to offer but just wanted to say your little ones ordeal brought tears to my eyes! Well done to you for being so great and spotting something was wrong and getting the help she needed! Your instincts were spot on!! I wish her a speedy and full recovery bless her
Thank you very much. That was very nice and actually more helpful than you know. Especially to read this morning as i am struggling with my plan to make sure she can relax but still get her to eat n drink.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
She enjoyed her soak and ate some. Did get her to eat a mineral oil taco. Do her eyes look ok?IMG_20141101_080806.jpgIMG_20141101_080820.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She has been through a very stressful time. Her eyes won't start looking normal for a couple weeks yet. Just be sure she's hydrated and warm. I wouldn't worry about that old "warm side/cool side" while she's recuperating. Keep the whole habitat at least 80F degrees until she's better.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Do keep us updated on her progress, I'd love to follow her recovery and see her back to full fitness again

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Good news today. Scarlett is eating good and pooped in this morning's soak. She spends a lot of time under her basking light. I double checked and the temp is just over 100F there. It is ridiculous that tortoise poop makes me so happy.
So relieved she is home and on her way to recovery.
Thanks to all of you for your support and good wishes.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
That's fantastic news, im so happy for you. I can't even begin to imagine just how stressful this has all been for you. She's responding to all the love and care you've given her!! Wishing Scarlett a continued speedy recovery :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett is feeling good enough to be a pain in the butt. She was doing pretty good then yesterday she didn't eat. Again today she didn't eat. It was mustard greens, collard greens and spring mix. Usually I add Timothy hay, but she doesn't like it, so added cactus today. I was concerned, so went and got her favorite. Romaine lettuce. Also got some endive. She ate like I hadn't fed her for 2 days. Made a taco in a romaine leaf with the other stuff she wouldn't eat, and she literally spit it out when she got a mouthful. Spoiled tortoise. Hope she knows she is only going to get away with this for a few more weeks.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Jodi, I'm late to this conversation. I've got five years experience with my female laying eggs indoors. I would be happy to share if you still want some feedback/input. In on my phone now and too much to type with one thumb. Sounds like she's doing better but eggs are coming again at some point!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I hope there will be more. Would love any tips you have. She will be outside summer. I just got her in September and the vet thinks she had calcium deficiency, and soft eggs before i got her. She did try to lay inside but her uterus ripped because they were broken and wouldn't pass.
Any tips for future prevention of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you @ben awes!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi Jodie, do torts lay eggs even without contact with a male? Ive got a little girl, should i be expecting some?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi Jodie, do torts lay eggs even without contact with a male? Ive got a little girl, should i be expecting some?
Sometimes yes. Not always. Weighing her regularly will help you know. Always make sure she has plenty of calcium in case.