Need Box Turtle ID Please

cschub13

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
A friend of mine found this turtle in their fenced in yard yesterday in St. Francis, WI (south of Milwaukee). I ended up going to get it because I have experience with all sorts of herps...plus she wasn't going to do anything with it and has three dogs. Anyway, I don't really need another turtle, but I also would rather not give it to the humane society. Most importantly right now, I just want to make sure it is not a native ornate box turtle which is protected in the State. If it is, I want to make sure it gets to the proper organization or DNR to relocate it. I don't think the Milwaukee area is included in the ornate box turtles range here, but you never know. I'm guessing it is a released or lost pet and likely an eastern or western box.

Please any help with ID or advice on what to do with it would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20160918-194616.png IMG959560.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This one has me stumped. It looks like it MIGHT be a cross between an eastern and an ornata, but probably not. My first guess was going to be a very colorful gulf coast. How big is it?

At any rate, it's a beauty! I love the spotted skin. Seems to me there's a box turtle south of the border that has spots like that. I'll see if I can find it on my friend, Google.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for the feedback. I would say it's about 5-7". Gorgeous turtle no doubt, and seems to be in good health as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, probably Gulf Coast (Terrapene carolina major)

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Yvonne. Not saying you are wrong, but I did just get an email back from a conservation biologist for the WI DNR and he is very confident it is ornata, but due to the lack of suitable habitat of where it was found believes it was likely released/escaped pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, definitely NOT an ornate. This is what an ornate looks like:

upload_2016-9-19_13-2-25.jpeg

But, yes, it is someone's escaped pet.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree with Yvonne, that IS NOT an Ornate.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Again not saying I don't believe anyone over the other, I just want to be certain on species for several reasons. If it is ornata, then obviously illegal to keep, but if it's not then I may keep it. Having said that, I want to make sure I'm caring for it properly based on it's specific needs.

Are there better ways to identify species aside from colors and pattern? I could take more pictures later that include dome profile and plastron.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
my Gulf coats looks like the turtle you found. let me find a pic.

This is Ilene, a gulf coast.
Ileneturt1_zpsr30tqrhc.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Think you did! Gulf coast is my guess as well. Very nice one at that. If anything it maybe a intergrade of Flordia x gulf coast . the ranges in colors and patterns are so wide it's hard to say. At the size you said however sounds like gulf coast

Kyle

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
A photo of the plastron might help. My first thought was Florida, but not totally positive.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Completely forgot to get pictures...but I did set up a temp tub for it until I figure out what to do. I'm definitely seeing the similarities with the gulf coast, but there seems to be more yellow on the arms and head than any of the gulf coast pics I am seeing. I'm guessing Terrapene are quick variable...

Currently it seems like I'm going to end up with two options. Either I end up giving it to a local conservation center/zoo per the DNR's request, or a friend of mine is willing to take it in.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Completely forgot to get pictures...but I did set up a temp tub for it until I figure out what to do. I'm definitely seeing the similarities with the gulf coast, but there seems to be more yellow on the arms and head than any of the gulf coast pics I am seeing. I'm guessing Terrapene are quick variable...

Currently it seems like I'm going to end up with two options. Either I end up giving it to a local conservation center/zoo per the DNR's request, or a friend of mine is willing to take it in.
Shell shape leans more toward Florida than gulf Coast I think.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Certain characteristics look GC and others look Florida. Of course, they are both native to Florida, so who knows.........

I noticed OP just wants to make sure it's not a native ornate. Which it doesn't look to be of course. A quick look at the plastron answers that question anyway.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Update...The DNR is hoping to have the turtle relocated to the Marshfield Zoo in Marshfield, WI. Apparently they are currently building a turtle exhibit and could provide a home for the turtle. Everyone involved seems to be under the impression that this is indeed ornata. Regardless, I think this is a good result for the turtle, which is what was most important to me to begin with. Any thoughts?