Need Box Turtle ID Please

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Update...The DNR is hoping to have the turtle relocated to the Marshfield Zoo in Marshfield, WI. Apparently they are currently building a turtle exhibit and could provide a home for the turtle. Everyone involved seems to be under the impression that this is indeed ornata. Regardless, I think this is a good result for the turtle, which is what was most important to me to begin with. Any thoughts?
Again, a quick look at the plastron and you will know if it's an ornate.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That is not an ornate.

How many toes are on the back foot?

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
So do I just pretend that it is and send it over to the zoo? I mean realistically it's probably better off in their care than mine or a friend of mine who was going to adopt it. How different is the care between ornata and Eastern or Gulf...or whatever it is.

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Care is very similar. I would say that decision is up to you. It's not like they would throw it away, it's a beautiful turtle and they would probably stick it in the enclosure anyway.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ornata is the only one lacking a keel on the carapace. This one has a keel so it's not an ornata.
I agree. But I was trying to show him the difference in plastron. I never thought it was ornate.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Am I the only one who thinks the face and arms resemble triunguis? It's hard to see the face from the photos, but it might be an triunguis/major intergrade.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Am I the only one who thinks the face and arms resemble triunguis? It's hard to see the face from the photos, but it might be an triunguis/major intergrade.

That's why I was asking about toes, I think it's some hybrid/intergrade

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Location is Wisconsin.....the only way it would be a gulf coast if it was a pet release or escape. 3 toeds, easterns, and Ornates overlap this region. The plastron definitely looks triunguis. I am guessing it's a 3 toed possible hybrid. What I can tell you is my DNR agent in Ohio didn't know much about box turtles and I spent too much time educating him on them. He knew the look of Easterns which are native to our state and that's about it. So, for them saying it was an Ornate doesn't surprise me.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Location is Wisconsin.....the only way it would be a gulf coast if it was a pet release or escape. 3 toeds, easterns, and Ornates overlap this region. The plastron definitely looks triunguis. I am guessing it's a 3 toed possible hybrid. What I can tell you is my DNR agent in Ohio didn't know much about box turtles and I spent too much time educating him on them. He knew the look of Easterns which are native to our state and that's about it. So, for them saying it was an Ornate doesn't surprise me.

I think no matter what the species is, it has to be a released pet. Even if it were an ornate, they historically do not occur in the location where it was found, or so we know.

I know exactly what you are saying tho. Having been in the pet trade and herps hobbiest for years, I greatly respect the opinion of those in themy. The people who spend every day breeding, trading, buying, selling, researching, and caring for them out of pure joy rather than job.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
These 2 are some I hatched last year, As you can see the smaller ones colors are really coming out.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474423011.350591.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm going with 3 toed with Ornate but nobody can be 100%, It could be a mix of any of those or just a pure colorful 3 toed. This one I call chicken is 3 toed/ornate. He has a lighter shell than the one you have but I'm going with ornate/3 toe mix. I wish I was closer because I would love to have it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474424110.968799.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Update...The DNR is hoping to have the turtle relocated to the Marshfield Zoo in Marshfield, WI. Apparently they are currently building a turtle exhibit and could provide a home for the turtle. Everyone involved seems to be under the impression that this is indeed ornata. Regardless, I think this is a good result for the turtle, which is what was most important to me to begin with. Any thoughts?
I'm hooked on identifying this turtle! Please send us a picture of the bottom of the turtle shell. And count the number of toes on its rear legs. This is not an ornate turtle. The shell patterns, skin patterns, shell shape are not typical of an ornate. I'm not saying there aren't ever variables in one of those features, but this one differs on several all at once. You have a special turtle there whether it is a Gulf Coast or a Gulf Coast/Florida/Eastern mixed species. Can you ask what the Zoo will do with the turtle if they recognize it is not an ornate and don't want it for their ornate exhibit?

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
They definitely look a lot a like. Too bad, it could use a good home. If it ends up at the zoo I'm sure it will be a excellent place.

Also, it hasn't eaten since I picked it up Sunday night, but it did defecate. How long without eating until I should be worried? I also did put a small water dish in there, but I doubt it drank anything before it flipped it over. Would drawing a shallow bath or putting it in a tuber ware help or just stress it?