Need Box Turtle ID Please

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I'm hooked on identifying this turtle! Please send us a picture of the bottom of the turtle shell. And count the number of toes on its rear legs. This is not an ornate turtle. The shell patterns, skin patterns, shell shape are not typical of an ornate. I'm not saying there aren't ever variables in one of those features, but this one differs on several all at once. You have a special turtle there whether it is a Gulf Coast or a Gulf Coast/Florida/Eastern mixed species. Can you ask what the Zoo will do with the turtle if they recognize it is not an ornate and don't want it for their ornate exhibit?
Pjay it has 3 toes

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
I'm hooked on identifying this turtle! Please send us a picture of the bottom of the turtle shell. And count the number of toes on its rear legs. This is not an ornate turtle. The shell patterns, skin patterns, shell shape are not typical of an ornate. I'm not saying there aren't ever variables in one of those features, but this one differs on several all at once. You have a special turtle there whether it is a Gulf Coast or a Gulf Coast/Florida/Eastern mixed species. Can you ask what the Zoo will do with the turtle if they recognize it is not an ornate and don't want it for their ornate exhibit?
3 toes on rear, check above for plastron pic. I haven't spoken with the zoo yet, but I will ask them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
They definitely look a lot a like. Too bad, it could use a good home. If it ends up at the zoo I'm sure it will be a excellent place.

Also, it hasn't eaten since I picked it up Sunday night, but it did defecate. How long without eating until I should be worried? I also did put a small water dish in there, but I doubt it drank anything before it flipped it over. Would drawing a shallow bath or putting it in a tuber ware help or just stress it?
No that's a great idea, just make sure it can't get out.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry, in my excitement I didn't refresh my browser and hit reply to an older post. Doh! Three toe/three toe intergrade then. Beautiful turtle!

Lol!! Take a trip to Wisconsin. It needs a home.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
3 toed it is! I myself have an integrade 3 toed/gulf coast. Happens all the time. Here's mine,

Attachments

• 20160607_191048-1.jpg
    20160607_191048-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully I will hear from the folks at the Marshfield Zoo soon. I will just let them know the things we discussed about possible hybrid between a 3 toe. If you all would like, I can follow up on here with how things progress. Maybe they will let me name it and come visit up at the zoo. :D

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
So still no contact from the Zoo, for which I can't wait forever...

More importantly, I still don't believe that it has eaten anything I have offered yet. I've tried several different foods including, lettuce/greens, blackberries/raspberries, mushrooms, and dried mealworms. I try not to bother it other than checking on it before and after work, which includes turning on/off lights and food/water. Is there any other food that I could try? I was thinking of picking up a dozen worms from a bait shop or something. How long without eating before it's a cause for concern?

On another note, it still seems very stressed and nervous around me. I realize it's probably been through a lot and is trapped in this new enclosure, but if it were in fact a pet you would think it was slightly more accustomed to people?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Worms are a great idea, they can got long periods without food, so just make sure you have plenty of water available and give it soaks to help keep it hydrated.

Some just remain shy, and never warm up to people. Usually the best way to change that, is let them see you bring the food every day and eventually you turn into the food God and then they trust you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
my Gulf coats looks like the turtle you found. let me find a pic.

This is Ilene, a gulf coast.
Ileneturt1_zpsr30tqrhc.jpg
Beautiful! Love his colour.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A friend of mine found this turtle in their fenced in yard yesterday in St. Francis, WI (south of Milwaukee). I ended up going to get it because I have experience with all sorts of herps...plus she wasn't going to do anything with it and has three dogs. Anyway, I don't really need another turtle, but I also would rather not give it to the humane society. Most importantly right now, I just want to make sure it is not a native ornate box turtle which is protected in the State. If it is, I want to make sure it gets to the proper organization or DNR to relocate it. I don't think the Milwaukee area is included in the ornate box turtles range here, but you never know. I'm guessing it is a released or lost pet and likely an eastern or western box.

Please any help with ID or advice on what to do with it would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 187289 View attachment 187290

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry, don't know what species is, but whatever the species, it it wonderful! GOD bless.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
So still no contact from the Zoo, for which I can't wait forever...

More importantly, I still don't believe that it has eaten anything I have offered yet. I've tried several different foods including, lettuce/greens, blackberries/raspberries, mushrooms, and dried mealworms. I try not to bother it other than checking on it before and after work, which includes turning on/off lights and food/water. Is there any other food that I could try? I was thinking of picking up a dozen worms from a bait shop or something. How long without eating before it's a cause for concern?

On another note, it still seems very stressed and nervous around me. I realize it's probably been through a lot and is trapped in this new enclosure, but if it were in fact a pet you would think it was slightly more accustomed to people?
Have you tried Nightcrawlers? They all go crazy for those.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Try something stinky, like soaked low fat high quality dry dog food. Most Terrapene will go nuts over a wriggling night crawler as well.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I know not much about Box turtle but I know this is a beautiful one. :):)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Just for fun - I vote for 3-toed. Not any sort of integrade or whatever, 3-toed all the way.

cschub13

Milwaukee, WI
Well I still have not received any emails or call from the zoo...which is confusing. Here I am illegally in possession of a protected species in the state (according to the DNR), and no one being proactive on properly relocating it.

Unfortunately I still don't think it has eaten anything. I've tried everything I can think of, and it just seems far too stressed to take any offerings. If I don't hear from the Zoo soon, I think I'm going to need to figure out something else.