Need Enclosure Advice

aclesi11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
So about 2 months ago, I built my baby sulcata tortoise a very large wooden tortoise table lined with a plastic tarp. Because the enclosure is pretty large (about 6 feet long, 2 feet wide) and shallow, I am having a bit of an issue with humidity. I am only reaching about 50-60% humidity throughout his enclosure, with a humidity of 90% in his humid hide.

I have seen people say that 80% humidity throughout the enclosure is ideal. Is it worth cutting out a lot of the room that he now has to walk around in for a smaller, closed cage (such as the exo terra terrarium that is large and low) that can trap humidity better? Is the high humidity in the humid hide sufficient, as he spends majority of his time in there?

I previously had him housed in a large rubbermaid container used to store things. The humidity was a bit higher, but i was not able to provide him with a variety of different temperatures such as basking, warm, and cool, due to the small size.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
You can get a piece of plexi glass and place it over top of most of it. Home depot or lowes will cut it to the sizes you need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on the plexi glass. I would keep the size, exercise is just as important. Just cover as much of it as possible.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
mainey34 said:
You can get a piece of plexi glass and place it over top of most of it. Home depot or lowes will cut it to the sizes you need.

I was thinking about that. Can I place heating lamps on the plexiglass? Im not sure how much of the heat will be blocked out by the glass.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Or build a tent over the enclosure. It would be cheaper than the plexiglass. Or turn it to a closed chambers. Read the sulcata section Tom tells you how to build one . Some people only use the humid hide. I would wait for Tom or pm him and ask if it is ok just to have the hide . I would soak two times a day . Good luck .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it will melt the plexi. However, you can cut holes for the lights and heat. Rim the hole with tin foil. The foil blocks the heat from melting the plastic. You can do the same with wood or even the plastic that the tote boxes are made from.

aclesi11

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
wellington said:
No, it will melt the plexi. However, you can cut holes for the lights and heat. Rim the hole with tin foil. The foil blocks the heat from melting the plastic. You can do the same with wood or even the plastic that the tote boxes are made from.

Awesome, I will start on this very soon. How would you suggest cutting holes in plexiglass?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
A hole saw you can get one from the Home Depot . You can use a gig saw but you need to put tape down Mark your hole . Cut on something hard that will not move around so it will not crack the plexiglass. Go slow and use a fine tooth blade.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
personally, i think the best thing to do would be extend the walls high enough to include the lights cover the top and make it a closed chamber. your tort is only getting bigger so i would give him as much space as possible. and this way holds the most humidity and heat so in the long run saves you money.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
stinax182 said:
personally, i think the best thing to do would be extend the walls high enough to include the lights cover the top and make it a closed chamber. your tort is only getting bigger so i would give him as much space as possible. and this way holds the most humidity and heat so in the long run saves you money.

BINGO, that's the direction to go. Will

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
IMG_20131028_164626_710_zps84a7eb6f.jpg

not the best picture but as you can see in the larger box on the bottom i extended the side and back walls, stapled the light to the bottom of the other enclosure and covered it with plastic, including the light. the front is left open for the basking spot, access and just fresh air. this is the only open part of the enclosure. 15$ for a sheet of plywood for the walls and clear trash bags.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
mike taylor said:
Or build a tent over the enclosure. It would be cheaper than the plexiglass. Or turn it to a closed chambers. Read the sulcata section Tom tells you how to build one . Some people only use the humid hide. I would wait for Tom or pm him and ask if it is ok just to have the hide . I would soak two times a day . Good luck .

This. I attached arms to my box and then attached the lights, che etc to the arms and covered the entire thing in plastic sheeting and secured it with thumb tacks and magnets. Works like a charm!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep and cheap . Thats what I'm screaming.