Need feedback on my first enclosure....

Jessica C

Location (City and/or State)
Lawrenceville, GA
Hi everyone! So this is my russian tortoise's enclosure...i set it up after much research but I know I'm missing some things if anyone has any pointers...i only have 1 thermometer right now but I plan to get another one (and actually I can't get her basking spot hot enough. It stays between 80-85°?) Any advice is appreciated in advance!

Attachments

• 20140513_174900.jpg
    20140513_174900.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi Jessica,

How old is your Russian? How large is he?

What jumps out at me the most is size. A small space like that can be ok, if it's just a night time enclosure and he spends his days in a large outdoor enclosure. Where in the world are you? Is an outdoor pen during the day an option?

You'll get more suggestions soon :)

Jessica C

Lawrenceville, GA
Hi Jessica,

How old is your Russian? How large is he?

What jumps out at me the most is size. A small space like that can be ok, if it's just a night time enclosure and he spends his days in a large outdoor enclosure. Where in the world are you? Is an outdoor pen during the day an option?

You'll get more suggestions soon :)
Hi! Thanks for responding...I'm not sure how old she is...i got her from a pet store on monday...i let her out to walk around my apartment when I'm home and I put her away when I'm at work and at night. I do take her outside with me when it's hot out but the last couple days have been kinda cold so I've just let her run around the house...

Jessica C

Lawrenceville, GA
Hi! Thanks for responding...I'm not sure how old she is...i got her from a pet store on monday...i let her out to walk around my apartment when I'm home and I put her away when I'm at work and at night. I do take her outside with me when it's hot out but the last couple days have been kinda cold so I've just let her run around the house...
Also...its a 50 gallon tub and that's what I've seen recommended for her size...is that wrong? And I'm in Georgia...

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
What size wattage is the basking bulb and how far is it from the floor? Also, what is holding the lamps up? It looks like they are floating in mid air.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Looking at the picture, Justin, it appears that the lights are resting a wire mesh (look at the bottom right of the photo where the wood frame is, and you should see the mesh more easily).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also...its a 50 gallon tub and that's what I've seen recommended for her size...is that wrong? And I'm in Georgia...

Gallons in tubs and aquariums are measured by how tall the sides are. If it were 50 gallons with 6 or 8" sides it would be a good size, but your gallons are up the walls. Your tortoise has no walking/exercise benefit by having tall walls. He needs more floor space.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Try making him a tortoise table using an old book shelf. There's plenty of cheap (or free) ones on craigslist. That should give him a lot of space.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
That water dish is much too small as well. Try a terra cotta saucer that goes underneath flower pots, they work well and are inexpensive. Torts like to sit in their water when they drink, so they need something big enough but shallow enough to accommodate that. Plant saucers work perfectly. :)

I agree with the size assesment of the tub as well.

On a side note, I really don't recommend putting your tort on the floor. Not only is it too cold down there and rather stressful for the tort...you also face dangers like ingesting foreign bodies (fuzz, hair ties, etc.), getting smacked by a door or stepped on, etc. If you want to provide your tort time outside its enclosure, outside is the best way to go.

Teacup

Georgia
Try making him a tortoise table using an old book shelf. There's plenty of cheap (or free) ones on craigslist. That should give him a lot of space.

This is a good how-to guide for the above: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-build-tortoise-table-out-of.html :) Try Goodwill as well as Craigslist for a cheap bookcase.

For a water bowl, I picked up a big terra cotta one and a slightly smaller (but still big enough for him to sit in) clay one at Home Depot. They were between $5-9 each.

If you foresee setting up a large enclosure taking a while, you can pick up some LONG plastic storage bins at Target for about $20. They're quite shallow so you'd have to make sure your little one can't escape but it would give more space while you work on something long term. I'm in the same boat as you; have my guy in a temporary rubbermaid enclosure while I build his indoor one. Since my husband has experience with designing/building things, we decided to make everything from scratch. If I were on my own, I'd just convert a bookcase!

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
As to your main question, wattage is not as important as distance for floor. I have a 50 watt basking light 10" from floor to get 95 - 100. For your current enclosure I would change to 75watt basking bulb. If you build a bigger enclosure you should go bigger.

Jessica C

Lawrenceville, GA
Thank you so much for all the help!! I actually have an old book case and funny enough my best friend and I were just talkin yesterday about building something for her! So that is my next step...my newest issue now is that i can't get her to eat the food that I bought for her and she only wants to eat green leaf lettuce. She loves it!! I am still trying to find dandelion but in the mean time is it ok for me to just feed her the lettuce? And will she go to the bathroom on her own when she needs to? I tried putting her in 90 degree water and she just wanted to climb out so she didn't use the bathroom...?

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Temp of water needs to be closer to 100. Spring mix from store is good. Mine loves it and when outside he loves green. Make sure it hasn't been treated.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Try mixing in different kinds of greens such as collard greens endive escarole radish tops with the lettuce. Try making it about 75% lettuce and 25% the others and then gradually increase the others and decreased lettuce.
Terrett all into small pieces mix it together well that way the Tortoise will have a more difficult time just picking out the lettuce. It took some time from my Tortoise to increase the variety of things he ate but eventually he did. He almost never ate anything the first time I gave it to him but he wanted on the second or third time.

Jessica C

Lawrenceville, GA
Try mixing in different kinds of greens such as collard greens endive escarole radish tops with the lettuce. Try making it about 75% lettuce and 25% the others and then gradually increase the others and decreased lettuce.
Terrett all into small pieces mix it together well that way the Tortoise will have a more difficult time just picking out the lettuce. It took some time from my Tortoise to increase the variety of things he ate but eventually he did. He almost never ate anything the first time I gave it to him but he wanted on the second or third time.
Awesome! I'll try it! Thank you so much! Is there a limit on how much how often I should feed it to her or should I just leave it in the tank and let her eat when she wants?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Try putting down a pile of greens about the same size as your Tortoise. If at the end of the day they are completely gone then you might need to give them a little more, and if there is a lot left over maybe a little less. It is okay to have some left over just throw away the old stuff at the end of the day. In the winter when my tortoises inside I usually feed him twice a day, a little in the morning a little night or actually early evening when I get home from work. But once a day is okay too whatever works for you. They usually eat on and off throughout the day. You can buy Russian tortoise seed mixes from different sites like Carolina pet supply or Tortoise supply that you can grow indoors or outdoors and give to your Tortoise also my Tortoise loves those. I only feed grocery store food in the middle of winter. Good luck!

Jessica C

Lawrenceville, GA