Need Help, Amazon Redfoot Tortoise

marciaturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Laveen Arizona
My Sister -in-law has a Redfoot Tortoise. Who is now living with us. Two years ago Tortie experienced a crack in his shell. We patched it with Duc-tape and it healed. A few days ago she said she wanted us to look at Tortie because she thought she saw another crack. I am up loading a couple pictures of his shell. I don't see a crack like the last time. And as I was doing some reading on this Forum I am hoping for some help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_104857.jpg
    IMG_20240103_104857.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240103_104902.jpg
    IMG_20240103_104902.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
A "special" person is a wonderful person to have in your life. I would know. She is doing a great job with her tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your sister's tortoise is very dry. The shell has no luster to it. When you look at your fingernails you see a sort of low shine to them, right? You should also see that on the tortoise's shell. Here's what I mean:

JuvenileRedfoot1__88548.1294857176.1280.1280.JPG

See how it shines? This is accomplished by feeding the correct diet and having the tortoise live in the correct conditions. You need to read our care sheet and make changes to the way you feed and care for this tortoise (the cracks are new growth, like was said above)

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Your sister's tortoise is very dry. The shell has no luster to it. When you look at your fingernails you see a sort of low shine to them, right? You should also see that on the tortoise's shell. Here's what I mean:

See how it shines? This is accomplished by feeding the correct diet and having the tortoise live in the correct conditions. You need to read our care sheet and make changes to the way you feed and care for this tortoise (the cracks are new growth, like was said above)
Just a question but should every tortoise species have a shiny shell or is it just for red foots?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

My first thought was also that he/she looked dry. But the smooth condition of the shell carapace changed my mind.
Its relatively smooth. And that only comes from high humidity. Or humidity within the range of what it should be.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When the shell is clean and wet, it shines, of course. Also when it's oiled and polished! Usually people wash their tortoise for the photos. However, dry looking shells, and pyramiding of the carapace, happen when the tortoise does not have the correct level of humidity day and night.