Need help ! Baby suclata URGET HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
IL
I can't order online ... I don't have a creditcard or Paypal. \: i just bathe him in squash baby food. He took a drink or two. He doesn't seem better. He's still lathargic.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know Petsmart sells them in stores and if they don't have one in stock, ask them to order and have it shipped to your local store.

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
IL
It's says web only... I'm going to ask my mom if she can try to get it on Ebay, because i just remembered she gets some things from ebay.
Were can you but coco coir?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
MunchkinsMommah said:
It's says web only... I'm going to ask my mom if she can try to get it on Ebay, because i just remembered she gets some things from ebay.
Were can you but coco coir?
You can get it at Petco Petsmart or Ebay

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Any pet supply should stock them...especially one that carries reptile supplies...there has to be something near your house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is your 10.0 bulb the coil type or the tube type?

If its the coil type go turn if off right now! If its the tube type, go ahead and run it, but still try to find a Mercury Vapor Bulb.

You've gotten very good advice above. I'm very sorry to hear about your little tortoise. Good luck!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I have had babies in exactly the same condition that yours is in. You need to soak him in babyfood daily. I use carrots because they have more Vitamin A in them. So you soak daily in carrots. You also give him orally every day Calcionate from your Vet. By that I mean get liquid Calcionate from your vet and give it to him every day. He needs a mercury vapor bulb because they put out more UVB then the tubes do. You are not using a coil bulb are you? You have a tube I think, but if it is a coil get rid of it as they cause just what you are describing...
Offer him Spring Mix. That's cut up salad mixture in a box in the produce section. Most tortoises love Spring Mix. Cut it up for him that way they will eat it better. Your hot end should be 100 and your cool side should not be below 80 degrees. See if you can find radicchio...most torts cannot resist that. It's red and it tastes good. You can mostly find it in the high end grocery stores. Baytril causes an upset tummy so I would stop that and don't start it again. If he doesn't have a snotty nose he doesn't need baytril....now we've got the babyfood soaks, liquid calcium, good MVB, Spring Mix and a better substrate. That is what I do to bring them back from the brink. You need strong UVB to make the calcium work. That's an important part of this menu. So a good UVB bulb will help the Calcionate work. Please follow my suggestions and I promise you if you do he will live. But you have to do as I have suggested and do it daily, not just once in a while. And be sure to offer him Spring Mix and I'll bet he will eat it. Be sure to cut it up and mix it all around.
Anyhow this is what I have done to bring many, not just a few, but many...I have brought back many sick tortoises from the brink. So do all this and your Munchkin will live.

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
IL
maggie3fan said:
I have had babies in exactly the same condition that yours is in. You need to soak him in babyfood daily. I use carrots because they have more Vitamin A in them. So you soak daily in carrots. You also give him orally every day Calcionate from your Vet. By that I mean get liquid Calcionate from your vet and give it to him every day. He needs a mercury vapor bulb because they put out more UVB then the tubes do. You are not using a coil bulb are you? You have a tube I think, but if it is a coil get rid of it as they cause just what you are describing...
Offer him Spring Mix. That's cut up salad mixture in a box in the produce section. Most tortoises love Spring Mix. Cut it up for him that way they will eat it better. Your hot end should be 100 and your cool side should not be below 80 degrees. See if you can find radicchio...most torts cannot resist that. It's red and it tastes good. You can mostly find it in the high end grocery stores. Baytril causes an upset tummy so I would stop that and don't start it again. If he doesn't have a snotty nose he doesn't need baytril....now we've got the babyfood soaks, liquid calcium, good MVB, Spring Mix and a better substrate. That is what I do to bring them back from the brink. You need strong UVB to make the calcium work. That's an important part of this menu. So a good UVB bulb will help the Calcionate work. Please follow my suggestions and I promise you if you do he will live. But you have to do as I have suggested and do it daily, not just once in a while. And be sure to offer him Spring Mix and I'll bet he will eat it. Be sure to cut it up and mix it all around.
Anyhow this is what I have done to bring many, not just a few, but many...I have brought back many sick tortoises from the brink. So do all this and your Munchkin will live.

Maggie. You do not know how much i LOVE this post. I started crying. I thank you so much for giving me faith. I just ordered a MVB and im going to go buy carrot baby food and call my vet. you know what ? My vet thought he wouldnt make it . But now i've seen this, im so happy. I'll do everything. Thank you. SO MUUCH. ♥:tort:

M

Maggie Cummings

MunchkinsMommah said:
maggie3fan said:

Maggie. You do not know how much i LOVE this post. I started crying. I thank you so much for giving me faith. I just ordered a MVB and im going to go buy carrot baby food and call my vet. you know what ? My vet thought he wouldnt make it . But now i've seen this, im so happy. I'll do everything. Thank you. SO MUUCH. ♥:tort:
But don't hate me if he doesn't make it. I haven't seen him so I am just going on what I have read. But I have brought back may from a certain death by doing just what I have told you. But of course I am not a Vet just a person who takes care of the sick ones. I have 3 right now who are as you described and all with the soft transparent plastrons. I had 4 but one has already gotten hard and is active and eating. You have to do all of it and try really hard and don't give up

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
IL
maggie3fan said:
MunchkinsMommah said:
maggie3fan said:

But don't hate me if he doesn't make it. I haven't seen him so I am just going on what I have read. But I have brought back may from a certain death by doing just what I have told you. But of course I am not a Vet just a person who takes care of the sick ones. I have 3 right now who are as you described and all with the soft transparent plastrons. I had 4 but one has already gotten hard and is active and eating. You have to do all of it and try really hard and don't give up

I wont. And what do you do if they wont eat?

M

Maggie Cummings

MunchkinsMommah said:
maggie3fan said:
MunchkinsMommah said:
maggie3fan said:

I wont. And what do you do if they wont eat?

I know how to force feed them a product called Critical Care made just for grazers who aren't eating....

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
IL
I see. Well I thank everyone for the advice. But I came home from school and I went to go pick him up. He wouldn't move. I tried everything to wake him up. I poked his leg (which usaully works.) I did everything. He's dead. But I tried everything I could. I do miss him though. </3

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am so sorry to hear that your tort has passed. Always sad when we get this kind of news...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
MunchkinsMommah said:
I feel like this is my fault, like i didn't do enough?

You did everything you could, sometimes they just don't make it. My 2nd Sulcata hatchling died on me and he showed no sign of being sick but the vet later told me that he was most likely sick when I got him. We always blame ourselves and wonder what we missed or if there was something else we could have done, but in the end we have to realize that we did everything we could.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm very sorry for your loss...and it seems to me you tried everything you could to prevent this!

MunchkinsMommah

5 Year Member
IL
Yeah . The place i got him had a sick one and we dont think he cleaned the tank when he got munchkin. Plus they gave me bark with ants in it. Atleast he's out of pain. I'll make sure I do more research before I ever try to get a Sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.