Need Help! Egg bound Or Not?

GrienWizz

Location (City and/or State)
Suriname
Guys... I have seen my redfoots mating a few times a few months back (2 or 3months ago)... so it could be that my female redfoot (Shelly) is eggbound.
But how do I tell if she actually is eggbound?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Guys... I have seen my redfoots mating a few times a few months back (2 or 3months ago)... so it could be that my female redfoot (Shelly) is eggbound.
But how do I tell if she actually is eggbound?

Eggbound is a negative situation...now, if you are referring to if she has taken the sperm and mixed with her goods to create eggs....who knows, you will need to sit in the bleachers and watch for signs.... :)

Bee62

Germany
Hello. How old are your redfoots, the male and the female ?
When a female is eggbound it is a dangerous situation for her life. She is carrying eggs but cannot lay them.
When a female carry eggs she needs some places with smooth soil that she can digg in for a nest to lay her eggs.
Why do you think your tort is eggbound ?
I call for @ZEROPILOT
He is familiar with redfoot tortoises and the breeding of them. Could you please help, Ed ?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
From what I hear not all breedings result in fertile eggs being laid. Male may be too young too do the deed but is going through the motions...female may be too young too know to put eggs in ground and just lay one on top of soil here and there.

GrienWizz

Suriname
When a female is eggbound it is a dangerous situation for her life. She is carrying eggs but cannot lay them.
When a female carry eggs she needs some places with smooth soil that she can digg in for a nest to lay her eggs.
I call for @ZEROPILOT
He is familiar with redfoot tortoises and the breeding of them. Could you please help, Ed ?
I have no idea how old they are... the male looks like a mature yellow foot...
The female... well Idk how old she is

GrienWizz

Suriname
From what I hear not all breedings result in fertile eggs being laid. Male may be too young too do the deed but is going through the motions...female may be too young too know to put eggs in ground and just lay one on top of soil here and there.
I think it is the female being to young and all... what should be done?

GrienWizz

Suriname
I call for @ZEROPILOT
Oh I think she is eggbound because of the somewhat hard lumps on the back of her leg close to the 'tail'... and on both sides.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Keep in mind you have a Yellow foot and a Red Foot, I've never heard of hybrids, maybe it's possible?

Bee62

Germany
Oh I think she is eggbound because of the somewhat hard lumps on the back of her leg close to the 'tail'... and on both sides.
Can you show us some pictures of these hard lumps? But even with pictures, I am sure your tortoise needs to see a VET. That is nothing we can solve on a forum. It needs a VET to see what it is.
Please don`t wait too long. To be eggbound is dangerous for the life of your tortoise.
Can she pee and poop ?

GrienWizz

Suriname
Can you show us some pictures of these hard lumps? But even with pictures, I am sure your tortoise needs to see a VET. That is nothing we can solve on a forum. It needs a VET to see what it is.
Please don`t wait too long. To be eggbound is dangerous for the life of your tortoise.
Can she pee and poop ?
I will try and makw the pictures as soon as I get home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If she were egg bound she would be lethargic and stop eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
An egg bound female will usually dig a nest then try to lay her eggs, but just sits straining over the hole. If you think she's egg bound, keep her warmer than usual. And soak her in warm water. An X-ray will tell you for sure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I could be wrong but I really don't think your going to be successful getting eggs that easily trying to cross a Redfoot with a Yellowfoot?