Need help! (new tortoise doesn't eat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I just got my new beard cherry head on Saturday and he doesn't. Seem to want to eat I've had a little trouble trying to maintain temp so think that might have something to do with it. It's just a little guy and being the motherly type I am get nervous when one of my babies won't eat
Any suggestions?? ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364240619.563021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Need help!

Aw, its just a tiny, brand new baby!

Make sure the habitat is warm enough. If they're not warm they won't eat. And moisture too. They need a humid environment.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
Need help!

The humidity is good its the heat it's running between 85-87 on warm side I bought one of those ceramic heat emitters thinking would be better to control humidity instead of reg heat light never used one before. Thinking I made wrong decision. I have UVB light

They said he/she is 2 months old but still has egg tooth and other baby still has umbilical cord!! So not sure how old

allegraf

10 Year Member!
RE: Need help!

As Yvonne said, that is a brand spankin' new baby, doubtful it is 2 months old. At that age they need near perfect conditions and a constant temperature, not a basking spot. The entire enclosure needs to be between 80F-83F. I would also check out tortoiselibrary.com for more information.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
Need help!

Have you used the ceramic heat emitters? Not sure I'm liking them

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Need help!

I like my ceramic heat lamp, but they have a basking spot not a all over tank heat. A large incubator would give ideal conditions in my opinion until old enough to survive with out a overall heat temp for a tank.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I don't like using my che's. I have the 100w ones and they just can't seem to keep it hot enough at night. I'll have to try a higher wattage but yeah I'm with you I'm not having much luck with che's.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
I thought it would be better than reg heat light but seems like its just warm right under it not giving heat to surrounding area I Quentin from 60w (gave me 82 temp right under it) to 100w which gave me 92 under it)

*went ( not Quentin)

abclements

5 Year Member
Have you tried covering your enclosure with Plexi-glass? It really does a great job both holding in humidity and heat

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
tee66 said:
I just got my new beard cherry head on Saturday and he doesn't. Seem to want to eat I've had a little trouble trying to maintain temp so think that might have something to do with it. It's just a little guy and being the motherly type I am get nervous when one of my babies won't eat
Any suggestions??

You've only had it 2 days, I would give it at least one more day to acclimate. I seen you've had box turtles for more than a handful of years, if you give your tort some time to acclimate and then raise it as you would a baby boxie BUT remember it needs less protein, a little more humidity, it prefers heat from ambient temps and not by basking, and it thrives at a temperature high enough to make box turtles look for cooler areas, seems like a good cornerstone to start and then tweak to what he likes... by careful and close documentation.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
CHE's can create either hot spots or general heating- it depends on how large the are in relation to the habitat, how high they are, how they are controlled, and whether the habitat is covered or open (partially covered=open)

I generally recommend an over-sized CHE for a smaller habitat, moderated through a controllable thermostat and used in a covered habitat. As the habitat gets bigger or if the room is cooler, you may need to add other options, like an additional CHE or two, substrate heating, etc.

If you can shoot us a couple photos of your habitat, we might be able to help more.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364315021.077351.jpg
I have the little guy in a 10gal since he is so small, using coconut husk as substrate ( thought would help with keeping humidity) I have heat tape under the tank controlled by a thermostat and also ceramic heat emitter since temp was only low 80s

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
tee66 said:
I have the little guy in a 10gal since he is so small, using coconut husk as substrate ( thought would help with keeping humidity) I have heat tape under the tank controlled by a thermostat and also ceramic heat emitter since temp was only low 80s

Ten gallons are not recommended even for the tiniest of tortoises. Not only do they not provide enough space, but since they are small they don't allow for a proper heat gradient. Rubbermaid totes, or cement mixing trays are cheap options for upgrading your little guys habitat. What type of UVB lighting are you providing for it?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You have a pretty typical set-up, but it is not optimal for the little guy. While 10 gallons is awfully skimpy, you can make it work while you find something bigger- at least a 20 gallon tank at minimum if you want to keep it very visible.

The fake rock food and water dishes really sort of suck for tortoises, especially small ones- they are really hard to use. Recessed to ground level bowls or ground level plates are a lot better. (I use really cheap food plates- folded newspaper. Just toss when done!)

Red-footeds love shade, so more plants- even hanging on the sides- helps. They also help with humidity.

If the top is not covered, cover as much of it as you can. That will really help keep heat and humidity in.

There are more ideas and how-tos in the Tortoise Library, linked below.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
Ok so I have tried everything to get this baby to eat and today he/she was very interested in the food however, interested and "tried" eating but didn't open his/here mouth!! She nudges the food and really went for it but just pushed it with her nose almost looked like she couldn't open her mouth. I have it on video just can't see where I can post a video. I'm very worried!!!!

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Try taping some paper to the outside of the tank around the bottom. It will feel more secure, and might relieve some stress. Also, do you hover over the tank when you're trying to feed it?

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
tee66 said:
Ok so I have tried everything to get this baby to eat and today he/she was very interested in the food however, interested and "tried" eating but didn't open his/here mouth!! She nudges the food and really went for it but just pushed it with her nose almost looked like she couldn't open her mouth. I have it on video just can't see where I can post a video. I'm very worried!!!!

it might be time to appeal to all of the senses of the little gal, if you haven't tried superworms, mealworms or even a nightcrawler or red wiggler if the nightcrawler would be too big, I would try that. The nudging meant the tort was very curious about the smell but didn't find it to be "food" smell. I'd try live food and perhaps the movement (and smell with the worms) will win her over. Are you leaving food in all the time? ALSO did you bring her to the food or did she come out when you put it in?

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
Update: I talked to a professional breeder and Mathis is what he said........After seeing the pictures I believe the tortoise hatched with several visible birth defects. It is a very young tortoise and has probably never fed. Your only hope is that it survives on the liquid diet long enough for it's jaw to start working and open enough for it to feed. This is no sure thing. I'm very sorry you are having to deal with this. I get some deformed babies but I don't sell them unless I'm sure they will survive.
That being said I have gotten some baby food and have diluted it enough to liquid and sitting the baby in it and she has been drinking it right up I just hope this works and in time her jaw will be able to open so she can eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.