Need Help re Sulcata Hatchling

Juice

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello Everyone,

I have only had my Sulcata, Biscuit (pic attached), for a week, and have been figuring out things as I go. I finally got the temperature right (85 to 95 degrees on warm side - on other side - humidity between 40 to 70 - according to what’s I was told and what I have read). If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Biscuit started digging a couple of days ago. Any suggestion on how deep I should fill up the tank with the substrate? I want to give him enough but don’t want to overdo it and he sinks in there. Thoughts? Suggestion re good substrate for digging?

Also, I’ve read about giving him calcium, but don’t know which one is the appropriate one and how much should be given. I read a comment on a review and it scared me saying that too much would kill him because it has 3D. It referenced since the heat is high in the tank, to only give calcium with 3D once a week. Thoughts?

I’m setting a vet appointment tomorrow, but thought I’d reach out to you guys since most of you have dealt with this and have happy and healthy Salcatas. Any suggestions or additional information that you can please provide, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there are different references about soaking. I’m planning on soaking him one a week for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water. If this isn’t wrong, please let me know.

Thank you,
Julissa

p7E7D31EF-AEA8-4B65-8CA0-0D076A5A72B2.jpeg

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
soak him everyday in warm water 20-30 min. make sure he has access to water in the enclosure as well.
you need about 3-4 inches of substrate. coco coir, coco husk and orchid bark are good choices. Many people use damp coco coir with a layer of the ochid bark on top.
Why take him to the vet if nothing is wrong..?
please read the care sheet posted previously.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Everyone,

I have only had my Sulcata, Biscuit (pic attached), for a week, and have been figuring out things as I go. I finally got the temperature right (85 to 95 degrees on warm side - on other side - humidity between 40 to 70 - according to what’s I was told and what I have read). If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Biscuit started digging a couple of days ago. Any suggestion on how deep I should fill up the tank with the substrate? I want to give him enough but don’t want to overdo it and he sinks in there. Thoughts? Suggestion re good substrate for digging?

Also, I’ve read about giving him calcium, but don’t know which one is the appropriate one and how much should be given. I read a comment on a review and it scared me saying that too much would kill him because it has 3D. It referenced since the heat is high in the tank, to only give calcium with 3D once a week. Thoughts?

I’m setting a vet appointment tomorrow, but thought I’d reach out to you guys since most of you have dealt with this and have happy and healthy Salcatas. Any suggestions or additional information that you can please provide, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, there are different references about soaking. I’m planning on soaking him one a week for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water. If this isn’t wrong, please let me know.

Thank you,
Julissa

pView attachment 314793
Most od the care info you find will be old, out-dated, and wrong. Disregard all of it if you want your baby to live.

Here is the correct care info with the answers to all of your questions:

Questions are welcome.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & welcome. One major thing is to start soaking daily, not the once per week that you currently plan on doing.

Juice

Los Angeles
soak him everyday in warm water 20-30 min. make sure he has access to water in the enclosure as well.
you need about 3-4 inches of substrate. coco coir, coco husk and orchid bark are good choices. Many people use damp coco coir with a layer of the ochid bark on top.
Why take him to the vet if nothing is wrong..?
please read the care sheet posted previously.

Thank you! When he was purchased, they were feeding him celery and him with no heat during the night. My thoughts were to take him to the vet to make sure he’s fine. Also, since I’ve been pretty much guessing at what I’m doing, I thought a vet could tell me if I was doing things correctly, but you guys have it down! Thx again!

Juice

Los Angeles
Most od the care info you find will be old, out-dated, and wrong. Disregard all of it if you want your baby to live.

Here is the correct care info with the answers to all of your questions:

Questions are welcome.

Thank you!!! Much appreciated!

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
Julissa

pView attachment 314793
Sooooo cute ?