need help (sleeps all day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
RE: need help

First thought is temps. What's your set up like?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California

Hi...I would like to see a picture of your tortoise enclosure? May we see what your set up is like? May we also see a picture of your tort?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area

You are right in the middle of the L.A. area, and should be having mostly temperate weather right now. So if the ambient temperate is moderately warm then it gets down to your enclosure temps. What are the temps in your 4 zones. Can you tell us more about the tort. Where you got it, how long you've had it? Diet being offered? Age? Etc.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Please respond with some of the answers to the answers questions others have posted so that we can give answers. Sounds like you have some temp issues. Below my signature are some threads on raising sulcatas..

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
blueangel said:
:(i have a sulcata that sleeps all day and doesn't eat could it be stress

Hey, blueangel, sorry to hear your tortoise isn't doing well. You wrote sick and not eating. Does it have any other symptoms of being sick ( such as a runny nose, trouble breathing, trouble opening eyes etc.)? Is it a hatchling or an older tort? Did you just get it or have you had it awhile? Is it an outdoor animal or an indoor animal.

It could be a stress issue if you just got it or recently changed its enclosure. Why do you think it could be stress? Is there something that you see that might be stressing the animal.

As others have already pointed out, temps are the most common cause of a sully not eating.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
How's your sully doing? :)

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Mine is doing the same thing:( not eating sleeping all the time and not being himself. He is less then a year and normally rambunctious but now won't eat it stay awake.ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364453628.762955.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364453638.426006.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364453676.698570.jpgjust lays where I put him

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
What are your four temperatures? If that thermometer is under the basking spot, then it's too cold in the enclosure. Those fixtures wouldn't be able to handle appropriate bulbs/che's. Get some ceramic socketed dome fixtures with a MVB for the basking spot, and CHE's to keep the overall temperature up.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Poor baby is too cold :( Give him a warm soak and get those temps up! its too cold in that enclosure. You also need to put some sides and a lid on it like plexiglass or something to keep in the heat. The fogger is cooling him down too much and possibily giving him a URI. I have the same lamps and you need to changes those bulbs right away. I have a CHE and UVB in mine.

Jbandy said:
Mine is doing the same thing:( not eating sleeping all the time and not being himself. He is less then a year and normally rambunctious but now won't eat it stay awake.just lays where I put him

your baby is too cold :( you need to put sides and a lid on your enclosure to keep in the heat. Plexiglass works well.. please change the bulbs. I have the same lamps. A CHE and a UVB work the best. the fogger is cooling him down too much. Soak your baby to warm him up..

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Ok we made some changes! Within 3 hours he came out bright eyed and bushy tailed. Right side is 105 we also added the rocks he likes to lay on in our yard. Rabbit pellets are out!!!!! Little bit of damp bark in the middle with moist coir on the. 80 on the left side under uv light and 93 in the middle. Wow what a difference!!! I thought we were going to loose him!!! 80% humidity under the ledge. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364512709.164157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.