Need so tips

Kalebmccune

Location (City and/or State)
Council Bluffs
I’m new to owning a red foot I need help is there and specific thing I need for his enclosure (I have the basics so far)
This is his enclosure right now

image.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your set up looks good, but does appear to be in a glass aquarium. It might be a good idea to either cover the sides with a material that the tortoise cannot see through or build a solid sided enclosure. Tortoises don't comprehend the concept of glass as a boundary. If they can see what's on the other side they will usually want to go there searching for food and other necessities. This usually causes them to pace constantly back and forth against the glass constantly. By blocking the view with something solid it usually results in them being more calm and content, less stressful.
Keep in mind that potted plants and other objects placed on or in the substrate that are not essential resources (food dish, water dish, shelter area) are taking up valuable surface area. Tortoises are terrestrial animals that are require as much ground space to wander on as possible. Plants and other non-essential objects are generally aesthetic value for the owner with little to no benefit to the tortoise.

Kalebmccune

Council Bluffs
Your set up looks good, but does appear to be in a glass aquarium. It might be a good idea to either cover the sides with a material that the tortoise cannot see through or build a solid sided enclosure. Tortoises don't comprehend the concept of glass as a boundary. If they can see what's on the other side they will usually want to go there searching for food and other necessities. This usually causes them to pace constantly back and forth against the glass constantly. By blocking the view with something solid it usually results in them being more calm and content, less stressful.
Keep in mind that potted plants and other objects placed on or in the substrate that are not essential resources (food dish, water dish, shelter area) are taking up valuable surface area. Tortoises are terrestrial animals that are require as much ground space to wander on as possible. Plants and other non-essential objects are generally aesthetic value for the owner with little to no benefit to the tortoise.
Ok thank you is there also a certain light I need because I’m using two 60w bulbs a day time and a red one for the night

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Redfoots should absolutely have cover. They love sticking to the shadows. Fake plants are okay, you can try to plant some live ones (refer to a site called the Tortoise Table to see what’s safe) but they will likely get trampled.

Ditch that red light. They are not good for torts and turtles. Ideally you’ll want a CHE for heat, and preferably a hooded light for UV.

I never had issues with glass for young torts, but you will want to start planning the adult enclosure now because 5 years will fly by before you know it. The bonus with the glass for babies is that it will keep in humidity, which is super important for forest species like redfoots.

Don’t rely on the moss for humidity. It will eventually get nasty and he may nibble on it. Look into cypress or orchid bedding to go over the current substrate. It’s usually pretty cheap at stores like Lowe’s. These types of bark hold in humidity very well and are naturally bacteria resistant.

As for diet, lean farther from iceberg/romaine and explore the world of dark greens. Purple lettuces, dandelions, occasionally kale. A rare tropical fruit and lean meats like sea food and poultry are great treats.

Hope this helped. The care sheets here are wonderful and can help give you more information about how we can imitate their natural environments and keep our redfoots happy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with armadillogroomer that plants are beneficial. Yes, what GBTortoises said about the pacing is right, that's why you need a pretty big enclosure, one that will accept some plants and still leave room for wandering. The plants make the baby feel safe and give him options when it comes to hiding. Here's a picture of my baby enclosure:

vision cage 7-18-20.jpg

Kalebmccune

Council Bluffs
Redfoots should absolutely have cover. They love sticking to the shadows. Fake plants are okay, you can try to plant some live ones (refer to a site called the Tortoise Table to see what’s safe) but they will likely get trampled.

Ditch that red light. They are not good for torts and turtles. Ideally you’ll want a CHE for heat, and preferably a hooded light for UV.

I never had issues with glass for young torts, but you will want to start planning the adult enclosure now because 5 years will fly by before you know it. The bonus with the glass for babies is that it will keep in humidity, which is super important for forest species like redfoots.

Don’t rely on the moss for humidity. It will eventually get nasty and he may nibble on it. Look into cypress or orchid bedding to go over the current substrate. It’s usually pretty cheap at stores like Lowe’s. These types of bark hold in humidity very well and are naturally bacteria resistant.

As for diet, lean farther from iceberg/romaine and explore the world of dark greens. Purple lettuces, dandelions, occasionally kale. A rare tropical fruit and lean meats like sea food and poultry are great treats.

Hope this helped. The care sheets here are wonderful and can help give you more information about how we can imitate their natural environments and keep our redfoots happy :)
Thank you it really did

Kalebmccune

Council Bluffs
I agree with armadillogroomer that plants are beneficial. Yes, what GBTortoises said about the pacing is right, that's why you need a pretty big enclosure, one that will accept some plants and still leave room for wandering. The plants make the baby feel safe and give him options when it comes to hiding. Here's a picture of my baby enclosure:

View attachment 300355
Ok thank you so much