Need some health advice

Boo628

Location (City and/or State)
California
So Friday night I saw this tortoise on Craigslist. Desert tortoise? Went and got it from him. Teenage boy said they had her for 10-11 years, was given to them by a friend. I know its illegal to buy or sale desert tortoises (if it is a desert tortoise) but this tortoise look worst than anything I've seen. Maybe really dehydrated? The guy said they only feed her lettuce and when I asked if they feed her grass he looked confused. No grass or weeds, no light, no heat lamp cuz he live in an apt. All she did the last few days was sleep and ate very little. Barely pick herself up to walk. But today she's actually more active. Walking and eating more. She doesn't seem sick just sleepy and weak and she actually drinks water without being soaked. I been soaking her 3-4 times a day. First few times with plain water didn't help her much so I grind up carrots and lettuce and soaked her for maybe a good hr. She ate a lot after that soak. That was 2 days ago. Today she's more active though still sleeps a lot.
Any advice, criticisms, recommendations? The pictures I posted was taken after the carrot and lettuce soak. She only ate lettuce. Wouldn't eat anything else but now she's also eating grass and dandelions. Do u guys think she's just really dehydrated or is there some other issues with her? @Tom I saw ur post about tortoises at the pet store looking healthy but end up dying months later. Could that happen to her if she does get better then just fail? 20180513_174302.jpg20180513_174202.jpg20180513_174012.jpg20180513_173854.jpg20180513_174042.jpg20180513_173945.jpg20180513_174059.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom I saw ur post about tortoises at the pet store looking healthy but end up dying months later. Could that happen to her if she does get better then just fail?

What I said in that other post was in reference to sulcata hatchlings started too dry and living on rabbit pellets. Older larger tortoises do not dehydrate and get kidney failure so easily, so that sort of thing happening to this tortoise is highly unlikely. DTs can literally go months with no water and be fine. I don't recommend that, but they can survive it.

Malnutrition, lack of heat, lack of UV, and dehydration appeared to be the biggest issue for this tortoise and it appears you have solved all of those problems. :)

One major killer of DTs is stone formation, again due to dehydration, so I would continue soaking once a day for a couple of months. After that, if everything seems okay, I would cut back to 2 or 3 times a week over summer.

Congrats on the new tortoise and thanks for saving this one!