NEED TO RESCUE TORTOISE IN AZ

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
The nights in Arizona are getting cold. He's going to need night time warmed shelter?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've got 3x5' cement mixing tubs for the big ones. You could also use a large round horse trough.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow, thats a great looking Sully, and, as others have already stated looks to be in good shell shape! A few good hydrating soaks, a few hearty grazing meals and he's all good!

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
As Wellington said, you are faster than him. If he does charge you, it wont be quick. a brisk walk will outpace him. but i definitely wouldnt be afraid of testing him temper. just set a big bowl of food down or even a head of romaine lettuce, and he should be plenty distracted. my guy is pretty shy unless he is hungry and there is food out. He will let you pet him all day as long as he is pre-occupied eating. Just don't sit down on the ground in the yard cuz an overly friendly sulcata will climb on your lap, and Elvis weighs over 100lbs guaranteed.

worse case scenario is that he has a bad temper and you let him get to close to ram your shins/ankles and he knocks you down. More than likely you will just walk in there and he will either come up to you for food or be afraid of you. So make sure you have a full load of food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise I am feeding and working on an adoption has always lived outdoors; The woman who owns him did not have room in a small house to bring him in during the winter; I live in Phoenix. To me it is a joke to say we have a winter. If Elvis has always lived outside, for years, do I need to worry about the cooling temps? Mind you I am not adopting Elvis. But I am well aware that he has not been properly cared for in the last 2 years. He does have a large burrow. But how do I know that is enough? We believe, don't know for sure, that Elvis is at least 40 years old, give or take a few years. What is the easiest way to provide heat? He cannot come inside. He's too big.

Since he has a burrow, it's perfectly fine to leave him alone outside there in his own yard. He's been living these past winters down in his burrow just fine. The larger tortoises, like Elvis, can maintain body heat a lot longer than the smaller ones, and deep down in his burrow it doesn't get as cold as up topside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've got 3x5' cement mixing tubs for the big ones. You could also use a large round horse trough.

Not big enough for Elvis, Tom. He's 3' long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not big enough for Elvis, Tom. He's 3' long.

Yes it it. The tub is 5' long. She said he's 24" wide and the tub is 36" wide.

I've soaked big males that size in these tubs before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since he has a burrow, it's perfectly fine to leave him alone outside there in his own yard. He's been living these past winters down in his burrow just fine. The larger tortoises, like Elvis, can maintain body heat a lot longer than the smaller ones, and deep down in his burrow it doesn't get as cold as up topside.

I disagree. While some percentage of them can survive temperatures that are too cold, that does not mean that is "just fine". It just means the tortoises hasn't died from it yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The larger tortoises, like Elvis, can maintain body heat a lot longer than the smaller ones...

They can't "maintain body heat" for 3 or 4 months down in a cold burrow.

Again: The standard should not be, "Hey my neighbor left his tortoise outside all winter in its burrow and his tortoise is still alive…" I can't tell you how many die this way, both here and in AZ.

The standard should be based on what temps we think this species would encounter in the wild, and what temps are optimal for a captive North American environment. They do NOT have cold winter spells in tropical Africa like we do here in temperate North America. While they may have an occasional winter night that dips into the 60's, the next day is near 100 again. That is not like AZ winter days where nights can occasionally drop into the 30s and the next day might only be 50's or 60's.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am unequiped to handle a different type of large tortoise other than leopards, so I can't take him in.

Sorry, I don't have the time at the monent to read through this whole thread so I am not sure what your plans ate for him, but if you need help finding a home I could provide one or two recommendations. Just PM me.

DevilDog5mom7

Arizona
If you have the consent of the owner to take it and find it a home, then you are probably OK to post in the adoptions section that is in the for sale forum.

I had a great conversation today with the daughter. She will have a tough time with her mom. Mom thinks she can return home but she will need to go to assisted living. Susan asked me if I wanted Elvis. If I were 30 years old I would love to have him. She wants him to go to a good home. I offered my help and at the same time told her I will care for Elvis until such time as a decision is made. I am fond of Elvis but also understand I am not his owner. I am grateful for this wonderful experience as long as it lasts.