Neighbors dumped this lady (?) and a box of kittens. Need ID please! (Eastern Box?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermie831

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would like advice on what she/he is so I can either release her back, or set up a proper environment. (I was referenced to this forum by a member at my guinea pig forum).

NewCamera168-1.jpg

NewCamera169-1.jpg

NewCamera175-1.jpg

0606081039.jpg

(Wow, that wallpaper is even uglier in photos! Ick!)

We live in South NJ. There is no water by us (like a local pond) that I know of. She/He is 4.5 inches long, and 2 inches high. Does not appear to have webbed feet.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
What you have is an nice looking Eastern Box turtle. She is not aquatic. She lives in forests like you have in NJ. Unfornunately you can't release into wild because they know a specific area well and in a new area they would starve not knowing where the food sources are. They eat insects, worms, and fruits. They do make great pets.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Kermie831 said:
I would like advice on what she/he is so I can either release her back, or set up a proper environment. (I was referenced to this forum by a member at my guinea pig forum).

NewCamera168-1.jpg

NewCamera169-1.jpg

NewCamera175-1.jpg

0606081039.jpg

(Wow, that wallpaper is even uglier in photos! Ick!)

We live in South NJ. There is no water by us (like a local pond) that I know of. She/He is 4.5 inches long, and 2 inches high. Does not appear to have webbed feet.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

WELCOME to TFO. And that's a beautiful box turtle ( lives on land not in water.) You can check posts about box turtles here for more infos about habitats and food. It looks like an ornate or eastern one. I think more of an eastern.

Minh

Kermie831

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Neighbors dumped this lady (?) and a box of kittens. Need ID please! (Eastern Box

Thanks!

I have been reading for the last hour... so much to take in... so many choices for bedding and housing - quite overstimulating to the newbie!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I also live in southern NJ and already have enclosures for boxies that I have. Private message me and I can give you info.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Neighbors dumped this lady (?) and a box of kittens. Need ID please! (Eastern Box

I could use neighbors like yours. :D Very pretty Eastern. Glad to have you joining us and the world of torts. I think, even tho at this point it may seem overwhelming, once you have the basics, you will enjoy having this lovely tort as part of your family.

Kermie831

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

I think I PM'ed you jlyoncc1... let me know if you get it! :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
www.boxturtlesite.info Best substrate is soil or a soil/sand mix, they eat a mix of veggies, fruit, and protein. If you choose to keep her I have a diet that I copied off an article that was given to me a while back from my vet, if you want it let me know via email.

Super_Snapper

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's a beautiful female Eastern box turtle you've got! By the way, you can tell its female because the platron (bottom of its shell) is flat; males have a very visible dent on the plastron that helps them with mating. The neighbors were crazy to dump such a gorgeous creature, but their loss is your gain. I have a male with heavy yellow spotting; I wish I could introduce him to an attractive girl like that!

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
It looks like a eastern box.
Heres a great site that has alot of info,
http://aboxturtle.com/
Heres a pic of my little eastern,Looks the same as this one,but mines 2 years oldthumb_1719_12_12_07_5_17_13.jpg126.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.