Nervous about hibernating Rascal this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Ok I kind of NEED to hibernate him this year b/c we will be moving in with the in laws for a few months and have nowhere to keep him indoors but this momma is so nervous about it! lol. he's a very healthy yearling and is already slowing down his eating and activity. Any tips or advice for this first timer?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
cool and dry spot, if he has been feeding well and is healthy there is no problem hibernating him.

moswen

5 Year Member
personally i have no experience in desert torts, but i know the box turtles here in oklahoma eat twigs and dry leaves and stuff to help clean out their intestines so that they don't rot during the winter. you may just make some available to him...? good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Make certain he is cleaned out (no undigested food sitting in his stomach over winter) and that you have him well hydrated. 2 weeks without eating is best.

Are you hibernating in a box in a closet or.....? Temps need to be about 40-50 during hibernation. Be sure rodents can't get into where you hibernate.

Plan to check on him every so often.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
I was going to do a wooden box with shredded paper in the garage (never a car in there and no rodent problems) and how often should i check on him? I read to touch his foot to see if he's alive but then it said if he wakes up while doing that to encourage him to sleep again...how exactly do you encourage a tort to sleep?? lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, they wake up and sleep all throughout their hibernation (brumation) period. They just can't move because they're so cold. I don't check on mine at all. I just listen to their boxes in the spring and when I hear them rustling about, I get them up.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
It still such a strange concept to me. I'd never put a dog, cat, or bird in a box for the winter! It sounds though, like you've got it figured out Shannon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I touch my desert tortoise once a week on his leg, he hisses and withdraws.

Status
Not open for further replies.