New addition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
Very cute pics! I've been looking for a sulcata to raise myself. But I'm not having much luck finding any.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you for the compliments. As mentioned above, I have been looking into getting one for some time now. I can't wait to see the size changes, but at the same time I love that little face of his!

RonHays said:
Very cute pics! I've been looking for a sulcata to raise myself. But I'm not having much luck finding any.

Look in the sulcata section. There are great breeders on the forum! I was going to go with one from Craigslist but I was told that was a bad idea, ha! Which is true because it is difficult to know truly where these little ones come from and what care they have had. Tom told me that the first few months are CRUCIAL to what their future holds.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Ok thanks

Blake m said:
Thank you for the compliments. As mentioned above, I have been looking into getting one for some time now. I can't wait to see the size changes, but at the same time I love that little face of his!

Look in the sulcata section. There are great breeders on the forum! I was going to go with one from Craigslist but I was told that was a bad idea, ha! Which is true because it is difficult to know truly where these little ones come from and what care they have had. Tom told me that the first few months are CRUCIAL to what their future holds.

I can't find a sulcata section.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
RonHays said:
Ok thanks

I can't find a sulcata section.

To find the sulcata section; go to forum, then species specific, then African, and sulcata.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So, I just finished the vivarium for my new hatchling sulcata that will be arriving Monday :). I am currently figuring out the height of my lights to have my basking temperature at 100 and the ambient of no lower than 80. The tank is at 80, but I am trying to get the 100 right now! Let me know what you guys think. Also, I have my grazing tortoise mix growing in the yard that I will be putting in there when it gets here. It is five inches long!

c0883c18.jpg

dd999ecf.jpg

I may be stealing a basking piece of slate that is larger than this from my yard.
465d48a4.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Does the left side look too open? I am trying to get the temperatures correct right now. The ambient temperature from the CHE is doing well. I am trying to get the basking temp to 100 but 3 inches outside the lighted area it drops to 86-89.
What kind of humidity check do you guys use? The coco coir is damp so I hope that creates enough humidity. I plan on using a plant spout to dampen the coir when needed to keep humidity. I want the vivarium to be set for when my little one gets here tomorrow!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Why thank you! This time tomorrow, it will be in my presence.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
And its here! Woohoo!
56551cd1.jpg

43976ec9.jpg

7c8d38be.jpg

2c495ef6.jpg

Sorry the glass was dirty, which made the image not as fine of quality. He is definitely not a shy little one. So happy.
0fcadc64.jpg

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Just a warning, but coco coir gets very messy when wet!! Lol! That side may be too open to keep the appropriate humidity, plexiglass works wonders though! I just use the little humidity gauge on one side of my tank, but I recently bought a reptifogger and the digital device to keep the temperature and the humidity where I set it to be, which has proven to be a darn good investment!!

HE IS SO TINY AND ADORABLE!! You're going to be a great dad! :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
KimandKarasi said:
Just a warning, but coco coir gets very messy when wet!! Lol! That side may be too open to keep the appropriate humidity, plexiglass works wonders though! I just use the little humidity gauge on one side of my tank, but I recently bought a reptifogger and the digital device to keep the temperature and the humidity where I set it to be, which has proven to be a darn good investment!!

HE IS SO TINY AND ADORABLE!! You're going to be a great dad! :D

Yes, it was in the sun for 2 days sitting in a long bin. Then, it was in the tank for 2 days before he got to my house! And yet it is still damp. He seems to be doing okay with it, with an occasional moon-walk. I have been really thinking about the humidity and was thinking I may put a plexiglass divider between the basking lamp and the CHE. If that doesn't work, I will just invest in a fogger.
Thank you, he is definitely my pride and joy! But I can't forget about my Russian!

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Blake m said:
Yes, it was in the sun for 2 days sitting in a long bin. Then, it was in the tank for 2 days before he got to my house! And yet it is still damp. He seems to be doing okay with it, with an occasional moon-walk. I have been really thinking about the humidity and was thinking I may put a plexiglass divider between the basking lamp and the CHE. If that doesn't work, I will just invest in a fogger.
Thank you, he is definitely my pride and joy! But I can't forget about my Russian!

Have you checked the humidity with one of those little hygrometers? A lot of other people have had troubles with the fogger, but mine is doing fantastic, so really it's up to you! :) and yes, your Russian won't be forgotten! Lol, you've put up so many cute pictures up of him too! :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
KimandKarasi said:
Have you checked the humidity with one of those little hygrometers? A lot of other people have had troubles with the fogger, but mine is doing fantastic, so really it's up to you! :) and yes, your Russian won't be forgotten! Lol, you've put up so many cute pictures up of him too! :D

Yes, I am going to get one of those. I have heard that people have had issues with those. I do spray him 3-4 times a day with my spray bottle. I will continue to try out the different ways to create humidity. Thanks for your help!

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Blake m said:
Yes, I am going to get one of those. I have heard that people have had issues with those. I do spray him 3-4 times a day with my spray bottle. I will continue to try out the different ways to create humidity. Thanks for your help!

The only reason i got the fogger was because when i would go to spray the substrate myself it would make the top of the substrate feel cold (even if the ambient was still around 84..) and my baby leopard was starting to make little clicking noises.. But this fogger heats the water and turns it into a fog so fine it's like air! His clicking has ceased to exist and he's way more active than before! And no problem Blake! That's what we're here for! :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It would be great to have one so I don't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.