New additions

kingskettle

5 Year Member
I already have a Leopard but couldn't resist buying these Sulcata hatchlings They are almost a month old and when bought 10 days ago they weighed 59 and 57 gms and today weighed in at 65 and 62 gms. One is kinday feisty, just wants to run away from me but the other one is much calmer.

DSC01862 (1).JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Please read this thread:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

I see three things that probably should be changed - you can't provide the correct humidity using reptile carpet instead of substrate, fruit (apples) and fruit (tomatoes) should not be fed to sulcatas and lastly, pairs hardly ever work out. You should either get another hatchling or set up two separate enclosures:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

xMario

Germany
Nice torts for there health Pls separate them.. pairs dont work
If u leave them together one will suffer 24/7
Things that look like they are enjoying each other's company are the opposite.

Dont misinterpret following and sleeping at the same spot as friendly behavior

[emoji217]
I already have a Leopard but couldn't resist buying these Sulcata hatchlings They are almost a month old and when bought 10 days ago they weighed 59 and 57 gms and today weighed in at 65 and 62 gms. One is kinday feisty, just wants to run away from me but the other one is much calmer.

View attachment 276696

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Beautiful little sulcatas, however as already said pairs never work. You can tell the dominant one is the more feisty and active and the quieter one is the withdrawn one.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

View attachment 276696
Is that red marker on its back there?

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Is that red marker on its back there?
Yes, the breeder marked it for ID when taking the photos for the cites certificate. I bought two in case I lost one! They do function independently of each other so I'm not concerned at the moment. If they both do OK in my care then I will separate them.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Please read this thread:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

I see three things that probably should be changed - you can't provide the correct humidity using reptile carpet instead of substrate, fruit (apples) and fruit (tomatoes) should not be fed to sulcatas and lastly, pairs hardly ever work out. You should either get another hatchling or set up two separate enclosures:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
OK, thanks for your advice. I have tried them with a little soaked Mazuri which they nibbled on. It's high summer here with temps around 40 degrees so no weeds growing. so am trying them with mulberry leaves and grape leaves, petunias and hibiscus flowers and leaves as well as supermarket salad leaves.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
OK, thanks for your advice. I have tried them with a little soaked Mazuri which they nibbled on. It's high summer here with temps around 40 degrees so no weeds growing. so am trying them with mulberry leaves and grape leaves, petunias and hibiscus flowers and leaves as well as supermarket salad leaves.

No weeds growing in Summer? Just remember as they get larger, their appetites grow geometrically. You will need a whole lot of food. Good luck! (Especially in Winter)

kingskettle

5 Year Member
No weeds growing in Summer? Just remember as they get larger, their appetites grow geometrically. You will need a whole lot of food. Good luck! (Especially in Winter)
I'm in the south of Spain and winter is when the weeds grow here !! June, July and August are drought months and once September comes the temps drop, rains hopefully come and everything starts to grow again. Where I am, there is no frost so now is the worst time of year for food but still have a few weeds and grass in my little raised veg. bed plus various tree leaves, tradescantia etc so won't go short.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm in the south of Spain and winter is when the weeds grow here !! June, July and August are drought months and once September comes the temps drop, rains hopefully come and everything starts to grow again. Where I am, there is no frost so now is the worst time of year for food but still have a few weeds and grass in my little raised veg. bed plus various tree leaves, tradescantia etc so won't go short.

Aaagh - yes, summer drought! That explains the lack of weeds and grass growing. Good luck.